Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default How to find good window installer

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 22:20:44 -0500, wrote:

Greetings,

I need to replace seven basement windows and have settled on vinyl
sliders for the 38x25 brick openings.

I've been to a zillion different web sites and read about different
manufacturers (Alside, Gilkey, Feldco [local], Thermal Industries,
Simonton, American Craftsman...) and what it seems to really boil down
to is the installer. A lousy installer can trash the most expensive
window and a good installer can make the most of the low- or mid-range
products.

I've read online reviews until I'm cross-eyed and again, but while
window brands may be available nationally, the install is truly a
local issue and reviews aren't numerous enough to be meaningful.

So, how exactly do you know that you're hiring a quality installer?

Avoid "piece work" installers; meaning they get paid per window, and
are more interested in tossing windows into the frame RO. Some
companies insist the installers be trained for their products. If they
show up without a few levels, stop the work.

Ask neighbors for references.

The big box sub-contractors are such a crap shoot, and although Sears
Home supposedly stands (eventually) behind their installers, they were
very pricey, meaning I'm paying for someone's bad install, somewhere.

~JMA