Posted to alt.home.repair

Default kitchen sink drip

I have an old kitchen sink from the 1940's. The facets are probably 30
years old. The facets are "wall mounted" into the actual sink. I do
not want to replace the facets, but find I am continualy replacing the
washers, but it continues to drip. I turn the handles firmly off, but
this seems to actually "eat up" the rubber washers. Any ideas on how
to solve my "dripping problem" would be greatly apprecialted.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 29, 10:53*am, wrote:
I have an old kitchen sink from the 1940's. The facets are probably 30
years old. The facets are "wall mounted" into the actual sink. I do
not want to replace the facets, but find I am continualy replacing the
washers, but it continues to drip. I turn the handles firmly off, but
this seems to actually "eat up" the rubber washers. Any ideas on how
to solve my "dripping problem" would be greatly apprecialted.

The washer seats are probably all pitted since the 60's and the
washers cant seat anymore. If you can completely dismantle the
faucets you may be able to regrind the seats smoother, or maybe there
is mineral deposit around the seats, but I would just look for a new
replica of the old faucet and replace it all.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RickH wrote:
On Jul 29, 10:53 am, wrote:
I have an old kitchen sink from the 1940's. The facets are probably 30
years old. The facets are "wall mounted" into the actual sink. I do
not want to replace the facets, but find I am continualy replacing the
washers, but it continues to drip. I turn the handles firmly off, but
this seems to actually "eat up" the rubber washers. Any ideas on how
to solve my "dripping problem" would be greatly apprecialted.

The washer seats are probably all pitted since the 60's and the
washers cant seat anymore. If you can completely dismantle the
faucets you may be able to regrind the seats smoother, or maybe there
is mineral deposit around the seats, but I would just look for a new
replica of the old faucet and replace it all.

The washer seats may be replaceable. Dismantle the valve & look inside
to see if the seat is a separate piece that screws into the valve body.

--Steve
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve is right. Most faucets from back then had replaceable seats. Use
a flashlight and look at the center of the seat. You're looking for
either a four-sided pattern or a hex pattern. If you see that, go to
Home Depot and buy a "seat removal wrench". It's a long skinny wrench
with flats or hex and it will unscrew the old seat. Then go to a
plumbing supply house and buy new seats. They usually run about $4
each. New seats and new washers will solve the problem. Refacing the
seat with those cheap tools almost never works over the long term.
Just can't get them smooth enough.