Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tar paper over deck joists

When I repaired a deck, I decided to put a strip of 15lb tar paper over the
joists before attaching the deck boards. The tar paper was about 1/2" past the
edge of the joist, and then lightly folded down to form a drip edge. My theory
is that the tar paper will tend to run rainwater away from the joists, and drip
it slightly away from them, extending their life. Any opinions out there?

Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

On Jul 27, 5:37*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
When I repaired a deck, I decided to put a strip of 15lb tar paper over the
joists before attaching the deck boards. The tar paper was about 1/2" past the
edge of the joist, and then lightly folded down to form a drip edge. My theory
is that the tar paper will tend to run rainwater away from the joists, and drip
it slightly away from them, extending their life. Any opinions out there?

We used strips of shingles at the cottage. Worked well.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jul 27, 2:37*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
When I repaired a deck, I decided to put a strip of 15lb tar paper over the
joists before attaching the deck boards. The tar paper was about 1/2" past the
edge of the joist, and then lightly folded down to form a drip edge. My theory
is that the tar paper will tend to run rainwater away from the joists, and drip
it slightly away from them, extending their life. Any opinions out there?

Rather than roofing felt, try to find some of the newer plastic
roofing underlayments, like PermaFelt. Much thinner, tougher, longer
lasting than tarpaper. Most roofing supply companies have it, some box
stores. Problem is getting a small quantity as roll sells for $90. Try
scrounging a dozen feet or so from a roofing company from left over
rolls. HTH

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 19:59:55 -0700 (PDT), Joe wrote:

On Jul 27, 2:37*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
When I repaired a deck, I decided to put a strip of 15lb tar paper over the
joists before attaching the deck boards. The tar paper was about 1/2" past the
edge of the joist, and then lightly folded down to form a drip edge. My theory
is that the tar paper will tend to run rainwater away from the joists, and drip
it slightly away from them, extending their life. Any opinions out there?

Rather than roofing felt, try to find some of the newer plastic
roofing underlayments, like PermaFelt. Much thinner, tougher, longer
lasting than tarpaper. Most roofing supply companies have it, some box
stores. Problem is getting a small quantity as roll sells for $90. Try
scrounging a dozen feet or so from a roofing company from left over
rolls. HTH

Joe

I've never heard about using tar paper over deck joists. Wouldn't
that create a situation if the wet wood underneath could not dry out?
My deck is 17 years old and still holding strong without any rot and
no tar paper, but I ally Cabot Decking stain every 3-4 years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/29/2008 8:08 AM Phisherman spake thus:

On Jul 27, 2:37 pm, "Bob F" wrote:

When I repaired a deck, I decided to put a strip of 15lb tar
paper over the joists before attaching the deck boards. The tar
paper was about 1/2" past the edge of the joist, and then lightly
folded down to form a drip edge. My theory is that the tar paper
will tend to run rainwater away from the joists, and drip it
slightly away from them, extending their life. Any opinions out
there?

I've never heard about using tar paper over deck joists. Wouldn't
that create a situation if the wet wood underneath could not dry out?
My deck is 17 years old and still holding strong without any rot and
no tar paper, but I ally Cabot Decking stain every 3-4 years.

Yep. Sounds like a solution in search of a problem to me.

It drags itself out of the dark abyss of pish, and crawls insanely up
the topmost pinnacle of posh. It is rumble and bumble. It is flap and
doodle. It is balder and dash."

- With apologies to H. L. Mencken

Posted to alt.home.repair

Buy circus tent and cover whole thing

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 27, 2:37 pm, "Bob F" wrote:
[...]

The rest of the joist is still exposed. The only area not available for
evaporation is the top edge. Joist rot may be less of a problem in dryer
climates than here in Seattle.

Paper Shredder problem with paper detect circuitry Father Guido Electronics Repair 9 June 18th 08 11:02 AM
Ceder Deck joists [email protected] Home Repair 2 January 19th 07 12:24 AM
Some joists on deck not resting on beams. Problem? Hovercrafters Home Repair 8 June 15th 04 03:24 AM
Deck: bearers or joists Rosie UK diy 4 May 28th 04 11:26 AM
Deck Joists question? Steve Home Repair 13 June 30th 03 05:02 AM