Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dehumidifier redux, bought an LG

Picked up an LG brand dehumidifier today for possible use in the garage.
This one does appear to work correctly - shuts off when you remove the
bucket; properly restores after unplugging while running and plugging
back in (for how long? I will find out.) It is a little on the loud
side but it is quieter than the DeLonghi unit that I had before. I
moved the ancient DeLonghi out to the garage, and currently have the LG
in the house. I think what I will do is put it on a cheap Intermatic
timer so it's not running during the hours that I'm typically in the
basement - I'll have it on early in the AM when everyone's asleep and
that should help out the grid anyway. The reason I am doing this is
because like apparently many new dehumidifiers the fan runs constantly,
causing some noise and extra energy use that really is not required even
when the compressor is not running. I haven't done this yet because I
thought I'd "inherited" a couple of the little Intermatic plug ins when
I bought the house, but when I dug one out to use it I found it's
missing the little on/off plastic inserts.

We'll see if it holds up OK; I'm a little nervous because of all the
comments I've read online, but it's not offensively noisy like I was led
to expect at least, although it is a little louder than the Frigidaire
unit that I took back because it also ran the fan 24/7 but would not
restart after a power failure and also it appeared to have an issue with
the bucket switch.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 26, 12:38*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

I do not think the fan should always run, is it an Energy Star unit,
you waste alot with a fan always on.
Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
[...]

yes it is and I can't seem to find a new dehumidifier where the fan
*doesn't* alwyas run.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 26, 1:31*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
ransley wrote:
[...]

replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel- Hide quoted text -

My 2 sears shut off completely one is maybe 3 yes old one maybe 4 both
energy star rated, maybe call tech support to ask if they should run.
But what is humidity set at on the unit and what is humidity where
they are located, raise its set point to see if shuts off, maybe they
just cant keep up and are actualy pulling out moisture and are to
small for the job. Consumers reports tested a few for efficency and
the winner was some off brand.

X10 redux Robin UK diy 2 March 19th 08 07:03 PM
Gun question redux ......... OT by 22% SteveB[_2_] Metalworking 2 January 13th 08 08:30 PM
die grinder redux SteveB Metalworking 1 December 7th 05 01:27 AM
Pension redux F. George McDuffee Metalworking 2 November 18th 05 03:34 AM
Chainsaw redux SteveB Metalworking 18 October 4th 05 02:54 AM