Posted to alt.home.repair
rb rb is offline

Default right name

I'm trying to find out what the proper name is for what we call "monkey
wrenches".

Can't recall, right now.......

Posted to alt.home.repair

rb wrote:
I'm trying to find out what the proper name is for what we call "monkey
wrenches".

Can't recall, right now.......

Hi,
Crescent?
Posted to alt.home.repair
RLM RLM is offline

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 14:05:29 -0500, rb wrote:

I'm trying to find out what the proper name is for what we call "monkey
wrenches".

Can't recall, right now.......

Stillson Wrench

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 20, 2:05*pm, "rb" wrote:
I'm trying to find out what the proper name is for what we call "monkey
wrenches".

Can't recall, right now.......

Form what I can determine Monkey wrench is the proper term, if you are
referring to a smooth jawed pipe wrench.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_wrench

Posted to alt.home.repair

Well , if it's a monkey wrench, then that's the proper name. BUT, if it's a
pipe wrench, then it's a pipe wrench. Adjustable wrenches, such as those
made by CRESCENT can also sometimes be called monkey wrenches by some.

"rb" wrote in message
I'm trying to find out what the proper name is for what we call "monkey
wrenches".

Can't recall, right now.......

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 7/20/2008 3:36 PM Eric in North TX said the following:
On Jul 20, 2:05 pm, "rb" wrote:

I'm trying to find out what the proper name is for what we call "monkey
wrenches".

Can't recall, right now.......

Form what I can determine Monkey wrench is the proper term, if you are
referring to a smooth jawed pipe wrench.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_wrench

Here's a site that disagrees with the wiki site about the name.
http://www.infoplease.com/askeds/moncky-wrench.html

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 12:36:14 -0700 (PDT), Eric in North TX
wrote:

On Jul 20, 2:05*pm, "rb" wrote:
I'm trying to find out what the proper name is for what we call "monkey
wrenches".

Can't recall, right now.......

Form what I can determine Monkey wrench is the proper term, if you are
referring to a smooth jawed pipe wrench.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_wrench

Once you've been sent to get a "left handed monkey wrench"; you'll
never forget what they look like.

That pic is ONE.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"rb" wrote in message
I'm trying to find out what the proper name is for what we call "monkey
wrenches".

Can't recall, right now.......

It is a mispelling of Moncky. This is an old style adjustable wrench of
sorts. There seems to be many stories of the origin of the monkey wrench
name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Monckywrench.jpg

Sometimes a pipe wrench or Stillson wrench is called a Monkey wrench. This
is not really correct as the pipe wrench has harden teeth and is for round
pipe and the Monkey wrench is for the square nuts.

Someone mentioned Cresent wrench. This is a name brand of adjustable wrench
that came later. Many call this type of wrench a Cresent instead of
adjustable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

rb wrote:
I'm trying to find out what the proper name is for what we call
"monkey wrenches".

Can't recall, right now.......

For the time being, "Monkey Wrench" is the proper name for a type of
adjustable wrench with flat jaws.

The PC crowd is fast approaching, though...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 16:26:19 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

rb wrote:
I'm trying to find out what the proper name is for what we call
"monkey wrenches".

Can't recall, right now.......

For the time being, "Monkey Wrench" is the proper name for a type of
adjustable wrench with flat jaws.

Grand Dad (b. 1900), said it was called a monkey wrench because you
had to "monkey" with it to adjust it.

The PC crowd is fast approaching, though...

Eat red meat...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Jul 20, 2:05 pm, "rb" wrote:

I'm trying to find out what the proper name is for what we call "monkey
wrenches".

Can't recall, right now.......

Form what I can determine Monkey wrench is the proper term, if you are
referring to a smooth jawed pipe wrench.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_wrench

Once you've been sent to get a "left handed monkey wrench"; you'll
never forget what they look like.

That pic is ONE.

heh... a little OT but following the link to Stillson you find a pic of
my favorite pipe wrench. Apparently it's an antique, but it still gets
the job done. I'm guessing it was left in the house by the plumbers
that built it and rarely used after that; the jaws still look new.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ralph Mowery wrote:
"rb" wrote in message

I'm trying to find out what the proper name is for what we call "monkey
wrenches".

Can't recall, right now.......

It is a mispelling of Moncky. This is an old style adjustable wrench of
sorts. There seems to be many stories of the origin of the monkey wrench
name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Monckywrench.jpg

Sometimes a pipe wrench or Stillson wrench is called a Monkey wrench. This
is not really correct as the pipe wrench has harden teeth and is for round
pipe and the Monkey wrench is for the square nuts.

Someone mentioned Cresent wrench. This is a name brand of adjustable wrench
that came later. Many call this type of wrench a Cresent instead of
adjustable.

That seems to still be common usage, although I don't know any fitters
that still call a pipe wrench a Stillson. Ridgid seems to be the brand
name most commonly used these days.

I'm trying to think of anything else that is commonly known by brand
name... only ones that come readily to mind are Channellocks for water
pump pliers, and Kleins for linesman's pliers.

nate

(which reminds me, I need to buy some new Vice-Grips...)

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 20, 5:49 pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
Ralph Mowery wrote:
"rb" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

My old plumber explained that a "Stillson" wrench was a pipe wrench
that had a different type of adjustment than what we see on other
brands of pipe wrench. If you Google it, you can see the difference.

JK

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.gp.lib.mi.us/information/...key_Wrench.htm
This is what comes to mind when you say monkey wrench. I'd also call it a
pipe wrench.

However.....

http://ace.imageg.net/graphics/produ...1000227reg.jpg

Crescent wrench is a whole different animal. Monkey wrench is used for
turning pipe and fittings. Crescent is used to turn four or six sided nuts
or bolts.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"rb" wrote in message
I'm trying to find out what the proper name is for what we call "monkey
wrenches".

Can't recall, right now.......

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bzzzttt..... wrong!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
rb wrote:
I'm trying to find out what the proper name is for what we call "monkey
wrenches".

Can't recall, right now.......

Hi,
Crescent?

Posted to alt.home.repair

The term "monkey wrench" is also used colloquially (and inaccurately) to
refer to the pipe wrench.

So, I'm the one who is wrong!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Eric in North TX" wrote in message
On Jul 20, 2:05 pm, "rb" wrote:
I'm trying to find out what the proper name is for what we call "monkey
wrenches".

Can't recall, right now.......

Form what I can determine Monkey wrench is the proper term, if you are
referring to a smooth jawed pipe wrench.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_wrench

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 20, 3:36*pm, Eric in North TX wrote:
On Jul 20, 2:05*pm, "rb" wrote:

I'm trying to find out what the proper name is for what we call "monkey
wrenches".

Can't recall, right now.......

Form what I can determine Monkey wrench is the proper term, if you are
referring to a smooth jawed pipe wrench.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_wrench

Smooth jawed could also refer to a 'ford' wrench.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...fordWrench.php

supposedly the Model Ts came with this type of wrench and that is
where the name came from.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 20, 3:05*pm, "rb" wrote:
I'm trying to find out what the proper name is for what we call "monkey
wrenches".

Can't recall, right now.......

get the book
http://www.amazon.com/Did-Monkeys-In...6637629&sr=1-8
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 20, 5:26*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
rb wrote:
I'm trying to find out what the proper name is for what we call
"monkey wrenches".

Can't recall, right now.......

For the time being, "Monkey Wrench" is the proper name for a type of
adjustable wrench with flat jaws.

The PC crowd is fast approaching, though...

So does that mean when I need to cut wire I won't be able to use a
pair of 'dikes'

http://phonegeek.stores.yahoo.net/wirecutter.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

rb wrote:
I'm trying to find out what the proper name is for what we call
"monkey wrenches".

Can't recall, right now.......

That depends on what you call "monkey wrenches". For me, it is not a
Crescent wrench nor is it a pipe (Stillson) wrench.

Crescent wrench openings are shaped to fit hex or square nuts.

Pipe wrenches are "F" shaped, the jaws are serrated and - most importantly -
the top jaw moves laterally when turning on something so that the head
wedges. It is meant for pipe.

What I always called a monkey wrench was also "F" shaped but the jaws were
not serrated and the head did not deflect when turning on an object. It was
meant for nuts, not pipe. The first picture here is what I am talking
about, third one to the right of it is a pipe wrench.
http://images.google.com/images?um=1...earch+Imag es

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Limp Arbor wrote:
On Jul 20, 5:26 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
rb wrote:
I'm trying to find out what the proper name is for what we call
"monkey wrenches".

Can't recall, right now.......

For the time being, "Monkey Wrench" is the proper name for a type of
adjustable wrench with flat jaws.

The PC crowd is fast approaching, though...

So does that mean when I need to cut wire I won't be able to use a
pair of 'dikes'

http://phonegeek.stores.yahoo.net/wirecutter.html

Both "dykes" and "dikes" come in pairs. Sometimes more than once.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"dadiOH" wrote:

rb wrote:
I'm trying to find out what the proper name is for what we call
"monkey wrenches".

Can't recall, right now.......

That depends on what you call "monkey wrenches". For me, it is not a
Crescent wrench nor is it a pipe (Stillson) wrench.

Ditto.

Crescent wrench openings are shaped to fit hex or square nuts.

Pipe wrenches are "F" shaped, the jaws are serrated and - most importantly -
the top jaw moves laterally when turning on something so that the head
wedges. It is meant for pipe.

What I always called a monkey wrench was also "F" shaped but the jaws were
not serrated and the head did not deflect when turning on an object. It was
meant for nuts, not pipe. The first picture here is what I am talking
about, third one to the right of it is a pipe wrench.
http://images.google.com/images?um=1...earch+Imag es

Yeah, those are the ones we called monkey wrenches, also. Except when
referring to my dad's wrench. He insisted that it was a "Ford" wrench
(6th picture) and would become very exasperated if anyone called it a
monkey wrench. I never heard the term applied to pipe wrenches or
crescent wrenches when I was a kid.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RLM RLM is offline

wrote:

On Jul 20, 2:05 pm, "rb" wrote:

I'm trying to find out what the proper name is for what we call "monkey
wrenches".

Can't recall, right now.......

Form what I can determine Monkey wrench is the proper term, if you are
referring to a smooth jawed pipe wrench.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_wrench

Once you've been sent to get a "left handed monkey wrench"; you'll
never forget what they look like.

That pic is ONE.

heh... a little OT but following the link to Stillson you find a pic of
my favorite pipe wrench. Apparently it's an antique, but it still gets
the job done. I'm guessing it was left in the house by the plumbers
that built it and rarely used after that; the jaws still look new.

nate

I was wondering where I left that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
http://www.gp.lib.mi.us/information/...key_Wrench.htm
This is what comes to mind when you say monkey wrench. I'd also call it a
pipe wrench.

However.....

http://ace.imageg.net/graphics/produ...1000227reg.jpg

Crescent wrench is a whole different animal. Monkey wrench is used for
turning pipe and fittings. Crescent is used to turn four or six sided nuts
or bolts.

And before the Crescent came the Wescott.

I've still got three of them in my home shop.

http://tinyurl.com/65j7pc

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

And before the Crescent came the Wescott.

I've still got three of them in my home shop.

http://tinyurl.com/65j7pc

Jeff

I just noticed that the seller described it as a "pipe wrench"...WRONG.

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)