Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default right name

rb wrote:
I'm trying to find out what the proper name is for what we call
"monkey wrenches".

Can't recall, right now.......

That depends on what you call "monkey wrenches". For me, it is not a
Crescent wrench nor is it a pipe (Stillson) wrench.

Crescent wrench openings are shaped to fit hex or square nuts.

Pipe wrenches are "F" shaped, the jaws are serrated and - most importantly -
the top jaw moves laterally when turning on something so that the head
wedges. It is meant for pipe.

What I always called a monkey wrench was also "F" shaped but the jaws were
not serrated and the head did not deflect when turning on an object. It was
meant for nuts, not pipe. The first picture here is what I am talking
about, third one to the right of it is a pipe wrench.
http://images.google.com/images?um=1...earch+Imag es

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...