Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pellet stove in an odd shaped house

I have a modified split entry house. For the most part it is the
typical split which is a mid sized rectangle with three bedrooms on
the left, the stair case down to the front door in the center.
Hopefully this crude diagam might give you an idea on the layout.

Bed | Bath | Kitchen | Dining
___________________________

Bed | Bed | Stairs Living Room

The dining and living room and the stairs to the front door down 1/2 a
level are all open and on the far right wall in the living room is
where I want to put a pellet insert in the existing fireplace. The
problem is that I don't know if i am being overly scheptical about
what the Pellet Stove people are telling me. They say that even if I
put the 20,000+ BTU pellet stove in the living room it will heat the
entire house and without having the living room a total sweat room.
Will the heat from a pellet stove make it all the way down from one
end of the house to the other using nothing more than the ceiling fan
in the living room to push it down to the bedrooms.

The entire floor plan is only about 1400-1500 sq ft.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jordan" wrote in message

The dining and living room and the stairs to the front door down 1/2 a
level are all open and on the far right wall in the living room is
where I want to put a pellet insert in the existing fireplace. The
problem is that I don't know if i am being overly scheptical about
what the Pellet Stove people are telling me. They say that even if I
put the 20,000+ BTU pellet stove in the living room it will heat the
entire house and without having the living room a total sweat room.
Will the heat from a pellet stove make it all the way down from one
end of the house to the other using nothing more than the ceiling fan
in the living room to push it down to the bedrooms.

No, you will probably need another fan to help move the air. Heated air
goes up and down much better than sideways. With no help,expect a 15 degree
temperature differential.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Sounds like a sales pitch. I have a wood stove, and even using the furnace
fan, it cannot get even heat throughout my house. It is in a basement room
with an open stair to the ground floor. No second floor. The heat radiates
from the stove and easily overheats the room it is in.

I don't believe that any stove, no matter the fuel, or a puny built in fan
nor ceiling fans will cause even distribution throughout the house,
especially not down half a flight of stairs and into other rooms.

Of course, like many posters, you don't tell us where you live, your weather
conditions you have to contend with, and many other factors that can affect
performance.

"Jordan" wrote in message
[...]

Insurance-Wood Stove vs Pellet Stove littlefilly2 Home Ownership 1 May 6th 08 01:56 AM
Pellet stove Crossword Home Repair 162 October 3rd 05 02:05 AM
Pellet Stove Crossword Home Repair 0 September 22nd 05 09:54 PM
Installing pellet stove into existing prefab wood stove chimney northcountry Home Repair 2 May 16th 05 03:53 PM
Pellet Stove or Propane? Dave Home Repair 3 January 15th 05 10:07 PM