Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tempered glass bowed (pretty urgent)

Hi,

I have glass guys at my house right now installing frameless shower
glass. There is a 90 mitered corner that developed a gap at the
bottom. I'm being told that tempered glass always bows and that that's
piece "not bad".

You can kind of see it on the picture he

http://freeboundaries.com/bow.jpg

I'll try to take a better picture.

Is the quality that I am getting reasonable, or should I make an issue
out of this?

Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://tinyurl.com/6jygeq

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 17, 1:46*pm, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I have glass guys at my house right now installing frameless shower
glass. There is a 90 mitered corner that developed a gap at the
bottom. I'm being told that tempered glass always bows and that that's
piece "not bad".

You can kind of see it on the picture he

http://freeboundaries.com/bow.jpg

I'll try to take a better picture.

Is the quality that I am getting reasonable, or should I make an issue
out of this?

Thanks!

make a big issue of this
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 17, 12:46*pm, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I have glass guys at my house right now installing frameless shower
glass. There is a 90 mitered corner that developed a gap at the
bottom. I'm being told that tempered glass always bows and that that's
piece "not bad".

You can kind of see it on the picture he

http://freeboundaries.com/bow.jpg

I'll try to take a better picture.

Is the quality that I am getting reasonable, or should I make an issue
out of this?

Thanks!

A Bad photo, cant see anything. But you are paying for a shower to
seal not to leak water.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Hi,

I have glass guys at my house right now installing frameless shower
glass. There is a 90 mitered corner that developed a gap at the
bottom. I'm being told that tempered glass always bows and that that's
piece "not bad".

You can kind of see it on the picture he

http://freeboundaries.com/bow.jpg

I'll try to take a better picture.

Is the quality that I am getting reasonable, or should I make an issue
out of this?

Thanks!

depends upon the tempering machine. some types always produce a bowed sheet.
others don't.

tell them to try again. that's too much for a professional installation.

regards,
charlie
http://glassartists.org/ChaniArts

Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote in news:5de48969-1b50-4030-ab82-
:

Hi,

I have glass guys at my house right now installing frameless shower
glass. There is a 90 mitered corner that developed a gap at the
bottom. I'm being told that tempered glass always bows and that that's
piece "not bad".

You can kind of see it on the picture he

http://freeboundaries.com/bow.jpg

I'll try to take a better picture.

Is the quality that I am getting reasonable, or should I make an issue
out of this?

Thanks!

I'm being told that tempered glass always bows and that
that's piece "not bad".

I'm not familiar with frameless shower glass at all but Googling just a
few comments I'm seeing like $2500 and am sure it can go a lot higher for
more luxury. For this kind of pricing I'd say it looks like **** and if
they are truly all like that then it's a **** product for the bucks.

Won't water come out of that gap? They must caulk it huh? That gap filled
with caulk will look like ****. (note no "?" on last sentence)

Possible comment to the installer:

"So since tempered glass always bows, if I go to your showroom all the
tempered glass showers should be bowed like it".

Posted to alt.home.repair

| I have glass guys at my house right now installing frameless shower
| glass. There is a 90 mitered corner that developed a gap at the
| bottom. I'm being told that tempered glass always bows and that that's
| piece "not bad".

| I'm being told that tempered glass always bows and that
| that's piece "not bad".

| Won't water come out of that gap? They must caulk it huh? That gap filled
| with caulk will look like ****. (note no "?" on last sentence)
|
| Possible comment to the installer:
|
| "So since tempered glass always bows, if I go to your showroom all the
| tempered glass showers should be bowed like it".

....and don't forget... "If you finish the installation and I don't like the
bow in the glass, you will come back and replace the whole installation, on
your own dime of course!"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu 17 Jul 2008 10:46:36a, Aaron Fude told us...

Hi,

I have glass guys at my house right now installing frameless shower
glass. There is a 90 mitered corner that developed a gap at the
bottom. I'm being told that tempered glass always bows and that that's
piece "not bad".

You can kind of see it on the picture he

http://freeboundaries.com/bow.jpg

I'll try to take a better picture.

Is the quality that I am getting reasonable, or should I make an issue
out of this?

Thanks!

You have a high end shower with heavy tempered glass. There should *never*
be a gap like that in such an installation. As far as I'm concerned, this
poor workmanship is totally unacceptable, you damned right I'd make an
issue of it.

I have had two custom showers and have seen many others, and I have never
seen a gap where the edges of the glass panels meet. Doesn't matter if
it's a 90° angle or some other angle. A friend of mine has a hexagonal
mitered glass shower and there are no gaps.

You are being handed a line of crap by people who don't know what they're
doing.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Thursday, 07(VII)/17(XVII)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Jul 17, 1:46*pm, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I have glass guys at my house right now installing frameless shower
glass. There is a 90 mitered corner that developed a gap at the
bottom. I'm being told that tempered glass always bows and that that's
piece "not bad".

You can kind of see it on the picture he

http://freeboundaries.com/bow.jpg

I'll try to take a better picture.

Is the quality that I am getting reasonable, or should I make an issue
out of this?

Thanks!

Yes, you should complain!

I'm sure you paid out the ass for that install, and it should be to
your satisfaction.

Back to the point, yes, flat tempered glass does have a bow to it.
It's usually not that big of a deal because it is usually framed, but
in your case, that is unacceptable. (From the picture it looks like at
least an inch gap?) There should be a 1/4" to 3/8" caulked gap at the
most on a good install.

The glass company that you used will bitch at the glass tempering
company that they use, and I'm sure you can get some quality glass
installed. Providing that the company that is doing the tempering, is
capable of it.