Posted to alt.home.repair

Default replace motion sensor with dimmer switch?

Hi, I have a motion sensor switch in my new bathroom. It's all up to code
and
inspected, but I need a dimmer switch in my bathroom, not a motion sensor
switch.
When I went to replace the motion sensor switch I was surprised to find 4
wires
(not 3) going to the switch: black (hot), white (neutral), ground and
something
labeled "load". My dimmer switch only has connections for the first three
wires.
What do I do with the wire labeled "load"? BTW, this is the only switch
for the
bathroom light. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Steve

-------------------------------------

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 15, 2:38*am, (czarklee)
wrote:
Hi, I have a motion sensor switch in my new bathroom. *It's all up to code
and
inspected, but I need a dimmer switch in my bathroom, not a motion sensor
switch. *
When I went to replace the motion sensor switch I was surprised to find 4
wires
(not 3) going to the switch: black (hot), white (neutral), ground and
something
labeled "load". *My dimmer switch only has connections for the first three
wires. *
What do I do with the wire labeled "load"? *BTW, this is the only switch
for the
bathroom light. *Thanks for any help you can provide.

Steve

-------------------------------------

Delivered via *http://www.thestuccocompany.com/

Not sure exactly what kind of motion sensor you have. It sounds like
its one where it's just a self contained unit that replaces a switch?

In any case, a motion sensor needs power itself, hence that's why in
addition to the hot, the neutral is run to it. The load terminal
goes to the controlled device, in this case your light. To replace
it, the simple switch should go between hot and the wire that was
connected to the load. The neutral that was connected to the motion
sensor you can just cap off or remove if it's coming from a pigtail,
etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

czarklee wrote:

Hi, I have a motion sensor switch in my new bathroom. It's all up to code
and
inspected, but I need a dimmer switch in my bathroom, not a motion sensor
switch.
When I went to replace the motion sensor switch I was surprised to find 4
wires
(not 3) going to the switch: black (hot), white (neutral), ground and
something
labeled "load". My dimmer switch only has connections for the first three
wires.
What do I do with the wire labeled "load"? BTW, this is the only switch
for the
bathroom light. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Steve

-------------------------------------

I' guessing you have a GFCI in the bathroom. Someone must have thought it a
good idea to wire the light into it.

CL
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 06:38:02 +0000, czarklee wrote:

Hi, I have a motion sensor switch in my new bathroom. It's all up to
code and
inspected, but I need a dimmer switch in my bathroom, not a motion
sensor switch.
When I went to replace the motion sensor switch I was surprised to find
4 wires
(not 3) going to the switch: black (hot), white (neutral), ground and
something
labeled "load". My dimmer switch only has connections for the first
three wires.
What do I do with the wire labeled "load"? BTW, this is the only switch
for the
bathroom light. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Steve

-------------------------------------

http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance
Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair -
301745 messages and counting!

If you are able, establish which wires are neutral and hot and which go
to the light fixture. Put your dimmer switch between the hot wire and
light. Ground your switch, if it has a ground wire. Wire nut and tape
all the wires you aren't using.

Franz Fripplfrappl
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Jul 15, 2:38*am, (czarklee)
wrote:
Hi, I have a motion sensor switch in my new bathroom. *It's all up to code
and
inspected, but I need a dimmer switch in my bathroom, not a motion sensor
switch. *
When I went to replace the motion sensor switch I was surprised to find 4
wires
(not 3) going to the switch: black (hot), white (neutral), ground and
something
labeled "load". *My dimmer switch only has connections for the first three
wires. *
What do I do with the wire labeled "load"? *BTW, this is the only switch
for the
bathroom light. *Thanks for any help you can provide.

Steve

You typically don't need a neutral for the dimmer (or standard toggle)
switch. You'll only have line, load, and maybe ground on your new
device. The neutral typically just gets spliced through from line to
load cables. The motion sensor apparently drew enough power that the
designers included the neutral connection.

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair

czarklee wrote:
Hi, I have a motion sensor switch in my new bathroom. It's all up to code
and
inspected, but I need a dimmer switch in my bathroom, not a motion sensor
switch.
When I went to replace the motion sensor switch I was surprised to find 4
wires
(not 3) going to the switch: black (hot), white (neutral), ground and
something
labeled "load". My dimmer switch only has connections for the first three
wires.
What do I do with the wire labeled "load"? BTW, this is the only switch
for the
bathroom light. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Steve

-------------------------------------

Ah feel your pain. It can be startling and annoying to get deep into
reading something while perched on the throne, lose track of time and
have a motion detector time out and the lights suddenly shut down,
forcing you to flap your arms around like an insane stork to turn them
on again.

Have you considered adding an "old work" box next to the motion detector
switch and putting the dimmer in it?

You can then feed the dimmer from the motion detector, and won't be
violating some code which might have made it mandatory that a motion
detector switch be installed at the time the work was done.

That won't solve the problem of the lights going out when you don't want
them to, but it will let you dim them, if they're dimable bulbs that is.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)