Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kitchen Questions and Countertops/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

We will be starting our new kitchen cabinet installation project next
and there are few things we were wondering what the community feel
is. First, we heard that will the prices the way they are that
granite countertops are actually cheaper then alternatives like
Silestone, Corian or other man made countertop materials. We have
also heard that granite is more pourous and requires better care and
maintenance to prevent crud from growing. But we have also heard it's
better to hand heat, impact and other kitchen dangers. What is the
best bang for the buck on countertops?

Next, we were looking at over the stove microwaves (our current one
sits on the counter) but the question came up about venting. Some
people seemed to think the vent just pulls the steam and heat off the
over and spews it out into the kitchen to get it away from the stove.
Others (like myself) believed that the venting should get out of the
kitchen (out the roof) to remove the heat and odors completely out of
the kitchen area. With cabinets over the microwave, is it best to
vent out of the kitchen or is it okay to just blow it back into the
room?

Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 9, 12:41*pm, infiniteMPG wrote:
We will be starting our new kitchen cabinet installation project next
and there are few things we were wondering what the community feel
is. *First, we heard that will the prices the way they are that
granite countertops are actually cheaper then alternatives like
Silestone, Corian or other man made countertop materials. *We have
also heard that granite is more pourous and requires better care and
maintenance to prevent crud from growing. *But we have also heard it's
better to hand heat, impact and other kitchen dangers. *What is the
best bang for the buck on countertops?

Granite can handle heat, but like any other countertop requires care
of avoiding impacts and any harsh liquid spills.
Corian and Silestone are also good, but theres no look like granite in
my opinion.

Next, we were looking at over the stove microwaves (our current one
sits on the counter) but the question came up about venting. *Some
people seemed to think the vent just pulls the steam and heat off the
over and spews it out into the kitchen to get it away from the stove.
Others (like myself) believed that the venting should get out of the
kitchen (out the roof) to remove the heat and odors completely out of
the kitchen area. *With cabinets over the microwave, is it best to
vent out of the kitchen or is it okay to just blow it back into the
room?

Thanks!

You should try to vent outside. Even if it means sacrificing the
cabinet space above for the ductwork, its worth it.
Unless it is impossibe to vent outside, then use the recirculating
method. In my opinion it does not do much, but it's better than
nothing.