Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Venting heat sources to the outside?

One of my pet peeves is seeing heat sources inside of the house when I'm
running the AC. The three that get most of my ire are the laundry room, the
dishwasher, and my over stove microwave/vent (that just filters the air and
returns it to the room). I realize that I could re-route the microwave/vent
to the outside and add blower/vents to the small second story laundry room
and behind the dishwasher to minimize my ire, however I always wonder if by
doing this my total energy costs might rise because I will essentially be
knocking three holes into exterior walls and replacing R-19 insulation with
a flapper door whose R value is probably .000000000001, and will allow the
cold to enter all winter 24/7.

Is there a solution to my dilemma?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"CraigT" wrote:

One of my pet peeves is seeing heat sources inside of the house when I'm
running the AC. The three that get most of my ire are the laundry room, the
dishwasher, and my over stove microwave/vent (that just filters the air and
returns it to the room). I realize that I could re-route the microwave/vent
to the outside and add blower/vents to the small second story laundry room
and behind the dishwasher to minimize my ire, however I always wonder if by
doing this my total energy costs might rise because I will essentially be
knocking three holes into exterior walls and replacing R-19 insulation with
a flapper door whose R value is probably .000000000001, and will allow the
cold to enter all winter 24/7.

Is there a solution to my dilemma?

You should avoid cooking and washing clothes during the summer. Go
naked, and eat applesauce.
Posted to alt.home.repair

CraigT wrote:
One of my pet peeves is seeing heat sources inside of the house when
I'm running the AC. The three that get most of my ire are the
laundry room, the dishwasher, and my over stove microwave/vent (that
just filters the air and returns it to the room). I realize that I
could re-route the microwave/vent to the outside and add blower/vents
to the small second story laundry room and behind the dishwasher to
minimize my ire, however I always wonder if by doing this my total
energy costs might rise because I will essentially be knocking three
holes into exterior walls and replacing R-19 insulation with a
flapper door whose R value is probably .000000000001, and will allow
the cold to enter all winter 24/7.
Is there a solution to my dilemma?

The clothes dryer should already be vented.
Most dishwashers have a non-heat drying option.
The microwave heats food. It's the heat from the food that's warming your
house. The only fix is to not eat hot food.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
CraigT wrote:
[...]

Sure the dryer is vented, but that drum and the sides of the dryer aren't
insulated and the washer certainly gives up a ton of moist heat too after a
few cycles. You do a load of wash in that 6' X 8' room and is sweltering if
you don't open the window in there.

Even without using a drying cycle on the dishwasher a ton of moist heat is
given off.

Maybe I wasn't very clear, I'm not talking about the food that is heated in
the microwave, but the unit is one of those combination over the stove
microwaves that has an integrated vent to filter cooking odors from the
stove below. Of the three I'll probably modify this one to vent to the
outside. This is a factory option that wasn't utilized by the previous owner
of the house when he installed it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

One of my pet peeves is seeing heat sources inside of the house when
I'm running the AC. The three that get most of my ire are the
laundry room, the dishwasher, and my over stove microwave/vent (that
just filters the air and returns it to the room). I realize that I
could re-route the microwave/vent to the outside and add blower/vents
to the small second story laundry room and behind the dishwasher to
minimize my ire, however I always wonder if by doing this my total
energy costs might rise because I will essentially be knocking three
holes into exterior walls and replacing R-19 insulation with a
flapper door whose R value is probably .000000000001, and will allow
the cold to enter all winter 24/7.
Is there a solution to my dilemma?

Ven the room itself; get one of those thermostats with
hygrometer/thermometer settings. If you have winter weather, the heat &
moisture's useful, not so in the summer or warm climes. Heck, or even
do it manually with a vent & just a timer; that's what we did.
I'm cheap & those controls are expensiveg.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I would not worry about the dryer and dishwasher. Run those early in
the morning or late at night if your really trying to save energy.
By far the microhood should be vented outside. Cooking during a
heatwave will make the CAC work harder. I just renovated my kitchen
and that was the most important thing I wanted to do, vent the
microhood outside.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 7, 1:42 pm, Mikepier wrote:
I would not worry about the dryer and dishwasher. Run those early in
the morning or late at night if your really trying to save energy.
By far the microhood should be vented outside. Cooking during a
heatwave will make the CAC work harder. I just renovated my kitchen
and that was the most important thing I wanted to do, vent the
microhood outside.

Buy a barbeque and cook outside during the summer.

Buy a clothesline and solar dry the clothes.

Don't punch unnecessary holes in the wall that may vent warm air out
all winter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 7, 10:44*am, "CraigT" wrote:
One of my pet peeves is seeing heat sources inside of the house when I'm
running the AC. *The three that get most of my ire are the laundry room, the
dishwasher, and my over stove microwave/vent (that just filters the air and
returns it to the room). I realize that I could re-route the microwave/vent
to the outside and add blower/vents to the small second story laundry room
and behind the dishwasher to minimize my ire, however I always wonder if by
doing this my total energy costs might rise because I will essentially be
knocking three holes into exterior walls and replacing R-19 insulation with
a flapper door whose R value is probably .000000000001, and will allow the
cold to enter all winter 24/7.

Is there a solution to my dilemma?

The microwave is your best friend. It will heat the food with the
least amount of "waste" heat entering the living area. You should
have a vent over the stove. That one will save you IF you are doing
much stove top or oven cooking and baking during the summer. The
others are not practical. Remember when you exhaust heat out of your
home, you also will be drawing in hot (humid?) air in from somewhere
outside.

Do the dishes by hand and reduce that source of heat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"CraigT" wrote in message

Sure the dryer is vented, but that drum and the sides of the dryer aren't
insulated and the washer certainly gives up a ton of moist heat too after

few cycles. You do a load of wash in that 6' X 8' room and is sweltering

if
you don't open the window in there.

Why condition the laundry room air? Why not insulate
the door and partition wall, open a laundry room window
whenever you need, and close any heater/cooler vent
in the laundry room?

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Don Phillipson" wrote in message

Why condition the laundry room air? Why not insulate
the door and partition wall, open a laundry room window
whenever you need, and close any heater/cooler vent
in the laundry room?

I do that now. I'm paying to cool the air and the dryer is sucking it in
and blowing it out the vent. While I never went to the extreme of
insulating the door and such, opening the window does the job for me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 7, 2:37*pm, wrote:
On Jul 7, 10:44*am, "CraigT" wrote:

[...]

Agree. And that's a very good point. Depending on how much air the
range enhaust draws, running it could be WORSE than letting the heat
from the range stay in the house. If you carefully adjust the air
flow to the heat generated, then you'd probably come out ahead. But
if you have one running on high with a small burner going, I'd venture
that you will wind up worse off.

In the grand scheme of things, the heat generated by the dryer,
dishwasher, etc are not going to make a big difference to the point
where it's worth coming up with special venting solutions. And I
would be if you did, the air/heat loss from those extra vents during
the rest of the time would make them a net loser. Just try to
minimize the usage of the dryer, run dishwasher without drying heat,
etc.

* *Do *the dishes by hand and reduce that source of heat.