Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A solution for the dropping of alt.* newsgroups

The alt.* newsgroups are not disappearing. It is
just many ISP's do not want to pay for the disc
space to carry them - mainly because of the size
of the binary files that get posted in many of
these groups.

The simplest solution is to get connectivity to
the newsgroups via Google aka Spammer Haven.

Dick
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dick Adams" wrote in message
| The alt.* newsgroups are not disappearing. It is
| just many ISP's do not want to pay for the disc
| space to carry them - mainly because of the size
| of the binary files that get posted in many of
| these groups.
|
| The simplest solution is to get connectivity to
| the newsgroups via Google aka Spammer Haven.

....of course your off-topic post isn't spam, right?

Or take your business to another ISP.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dick Adams wrote:
The alt.* newsgroups are not disappearing. It is
just many ISP's do not want to pay for the disc
space to carry them - mainly because of the size
of the binary files that get posted in many of
these groups.

The simplest solution is to get connectivity to
the newsgroups via Google aka Spammer Haven.

That is the solution of next-to-last resort (last being no newsgroup
access).

Better:
1. Switch ISPs - and tell Verizon or whoever why you're doing it. The people
who provide the wire to your house DO NOT have to be your ISP. For example,
my cable access is provided by Comcast but my ISP is Earthlink. I connect to
newsgroups through "news.west.earthlink" who, in turn, farms out their
newgroup activity to Giganews.

2. Change newsgroup providers. There are bags and bags of third-party news
servers, some charge a nominal fee, some are completely free.

GoogleGroups has its uses: Searching for a (very) old post or for obtaining
access to groups when away from home. But for everyday access, forget it.

Crap about crap flooding the newsgroups, floods the newsgroups! Twayne Woodworking 1 January 15th 08 05:26 AM
Well dropping pressure [email protected] Home Repair 4 February 5th 07 04:05 PM
pressure dropping Mel UK diy 6 August 21st 06 03:27 PM
Well water level dropping - what to do? Matthew Reed Home Repair 19 July 12th 06 01:51 PM
Is the mains gas pressure dropping ?? mad man UK diy 12 March 6th 06 08:26 PM