Posted to uk.d-i-y
mad man

Default Is the mains gas pressure dropping ??

I've noticed in the last few weeks that my cooker and gas boiler does
not give same amount of 'roar' when fired up.

Certainly the cooker does not cook as quickly.

So is the mains gas pressure dropping in the Warwickshire area ??

How do I check it, or do I get the 'board' out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fentoozler

"mad man" wrote in message
I've noticed in the last few weeks that my cooker and gas boiler does
not give same amount of 'roar' when fired up.

Certainly the cooker does not cook as quickly.

So is the mains gas pressure dropping in the Warwickshire area ??

How do I check it, or do I get the 'board' out.

It won't cost you anything to call Transco out and get them to check it -
you may have a dodgy governor on your gas meter.

Angus

Posted to uk.d-i-y
sponix

On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 15:00:39 GMT, mad man wrote:

I've noticed in the last few weeks that my cooker and gas boiler does
not give same amount of 'roar' when fired up.

Certainly the cooker does not cook as quickly.

If you believe some of the posts on another newsgroup the gas is being
'diluted' with a'filler' gas..

sponix
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fentoozler

"sponix" wrote in message
On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 15:00:39 GMT, mad man wrote:

I've noticed in the last few weeks that my cooker and gas boiler does
not give same amount of 'roar' when fired up.

Certainly the cooker does not cook as quickly.

If you believe some of the posts on another newsgroup the gas is being
'diluted' with a'filler' gas..

sponix

Which NG is this sponix? I wouldn't put it past them, but, then again,
could they 'afford' this risk to their reputation?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
sponix

On Sun, 5 Mar 2006 20:07:10 -0000, "Fentoozler" nospam@mapson wrote:

Which NG is this sponix? I wouldn't put it past them, but, then again,
could they 'afford' this risk to their reputation?

I saw it most recently on alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains but
the rumours have been circulating for at least a couple of months, to
my knowledge.

I wouldn't put it past the gas companies either. They could always
blame it on some dodgy Russian supplier of gas I suppose, if they were
looking for an excuse.

sponix

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Cornish

sponix wrote:
On Sun, 5 Mar 2006 20:07:10 -0000, "Fentoozler" nospam@mapson wrote:

Which NG is this sponix? I wouldn't put it past them, but, then again,
could they 'afford' this risk to their reputation?

I saw it most recently on alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains but
the rumours have been circulating for at least a couple of months, to
my knowledge.

I wouldn't put it past the gas companies either. They could always
blame it on some dodgy Russian supplier of gas I suppose, if they were
looking for an excuse.

sponix

In my experience, Russians themselves are quite honest. It's the
intermediaries (or in the case of Gas, the countries the pipelines
cross) that cause the problems.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

In article
sponix wrote:
On Sun, 5 Mar 2006 20:07:10 -0000, "Fentoozler" nospam@mapson wrote:

Which NG is this sponix? I wouldn't put it past them, but, then again,
could they 'afford' this risk to their reputation?

I saw it most recently on alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains but
the rumours have been circulating for at least a couple of months, to
my knowledge.

Would it really matter as long as it wasn't enough to seriously affect
the gas/air ratio? Surely gas is regularly tested to check the BTU/m^3
rating anyway?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sponix

On Mon, 6 Mar 2006 13:02:33 -0000, Rob Morley
wrote:

Would it really matter as long as it wasn't enough to seriously affect
the gas/air ratio? Surely gas is regularly tested to check the BTU/m^3
rating anyway?

Dunno. Who tests it?

sponix
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Aidan

Sponix wrote:

Would it really matter as long as it wasn't enough to seriously affect
the gas/air ratio? Surely gas is regularly tested to check the BTU/m^3
rating anyway?

Dunno. Who tests it?

There's an adjustment/fiddle factor on the gas bills which is varied
according to the calorific value of the gas. I suppose this should
reflect different ratios of North Sea/Russian gas. If someone had been
able to introduce, say, nitrogen, Transco would soon be aware of it.
I'd imagine that bit would also show up on the combustion efficiency
testers carried by Corgi technicians, so it wouldn't stay secret for
long. An urban myth, I'd think.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from Matt contains these words:

They are collated at:

http://www.nationalgrid.com/uk/Gas/D...rificvalue.htm

Cor - what do they get in Stornoway that we don't?

Ah - reads further - LPG.

--
Skipweasel
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Mains shower pressure. KenL UK diy 6 December 30th 05 03:12 PM
Mains pressure to Cylinder pauliepie UK diy 75 January 25th 05 11:37 PM
can i pump mains pressure water? Chris UK diy 7 November 25th 04 12:47 PM
trenching and other uses of a high pressure washer Jer Home Repair 5 November 18th 04 08:59 PM
Slightly OT "pressure" Ivan Vegvary Metalworking 2 August 6th 03 05:49 AM