Posted to alt.home.repair

Default any electrician out there?

ALOE.org wrote:

Umm, you don't think the local board will be inspecting? What do you
know that I don't?

He may know that there's no inspection required. The OP could live in the
boonies.

I live the 4th largest city in the nation. There's no inspection, or permit,
required for fiddling with the breaker box. That includes replacing it.

I think my city decided to put the money required for permitting,
inspections, and enforcement into the fire department budget.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 16:51:15 -0400, "ALOE.org"
wrote:

Yup. But with a handy breaker to remove, a few clip leads and a good
ammeter gives great results without repositioning, proximity effects,
etc.. Love clamps, but love a chance to direct-connect even more!
Safely, of course! Clam ps are a lot safer as long as they stay plugged
in!

Please get it on film next time you try this with a 90 amp load.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 16:53:20 -0400, "ALOE.org"
wrote:

It's the state of the world today, I'm afraid. Everyone feels the loss
of control in their lives and some project that to their posts. It's
gotten better here lately; I actually left for several months because of
it making reading relevant next to impossible.

Kind of like discussing gravity in a home repair group? Yeah, I know
where you are coming from.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ALOE.org" wrote in message
In article , "SteveB"
wrote:

"Michelle" wrote in message
The main circuit breaker on the side, at the outside out my house is
overheating and trips. All electricity inside the house gets turned
off when this hapens. It tends to happen whenever I use the AC on a
hot day. The electrician says that this 90 AMP main circuit breaker
needs to be replaced. The problem is that he says that they don't
make these 90 AMP circuit breakers anymore. They only have them in
100 AMP. He says it's safe to go up from 90 to 100 AMP.

Is this safe to do at my house? Your suggestions/advice would be
greatly appreciated.

First, if your house has a 90 amp service, it must be old.
Therefore, it is from a time before we had toasters, microwaves, and
all the gobs of goodies everyone plugs into the wall sockets.

If you want to just save and use your 90 amp panel, you need to go
through, and throw out about half your "stuff", as you don't have
enough electricity to run it all.

What a load of garbage. You have no way of knowing that.

[snip of utterly useless drivel masquerading as "advice"]

Whatever you do, have a licensed electrical company do it

She already hired a professional electrician to come out and look at
it. And
you think you know more about the situation than the guy who was
actually
there. What amazing arrogance. And what amazing foolishness.

lol, well stated!

Um, you forgot to say that I'm humble enough to say that she should have it
assessed by a professional where she lives instead of trying to get "advice"
in a newsgroup populated by the usual subjects.

And you seem to have a knack for stating quite a lot about the situation
without ever having set foot in the OPs state!

What's up with that?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ALOE.org" wrote in message
In article , "SteveB"
wrote:

"Michelle" wrote in message
[...]

Thank you for posting this, ALOE. This person is in my killfile, and I
otherwise would have not seen it. And thank you for your spot on
evaluation, information, and posts.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default drifting OT: any electrician out there?

"ALOE.org" wrote in message
"RBM" wrote in message

"Michelle" wrote in message
[...]

enough electricity to run it all. You could do that, and many
people do when it costs too much to upgrade, or they like a
simpler lifestyle, or, say at a cabin where service is limited. Or,
you can just run certain things at certain times, remembering
not to use the microwave when the AC is on, etc, etc, etc, but
that is a pain, and something always ends up overloaded.

If you want to upgrade, you will have to run much more than a
panel. Sure you could put in a 200 amp panel, or a 400 or a
12,000. But from there, the wires have to take it all over the
house, and there again is where you are weak. You'll need to
upgrade all through the house, add outlets, add heavier wire, etc.

Whatever you do, have a licensed electrical company do it, don't
cheap out, and wire for the future. You're betting your house on
it. Steve

Steve, not to be argumentative, but you don't have a shred of
information to determine what you've written. There are bazillions
of houses with 100 amp services, that have every modern
convenience and plenty of electricity to power them

Sorry, just responding to what Michelle wrote, which were just
shreds in the first place.

And yes, there are lots of 100 amp services out there just chugging
along. But we weren't talking about upgrading them to higher
numbers, were we? And there are even limits to how many things can
be plugged into a 100 amp service. But then, that 100 amp rating
is limited to 70-80% of capacity from the get go.

But you knew all that, right?

Steve

You can plug an awful lot of things into a 100 amp service, and no,
it's not limited to 70 -80% of capacity

Correct. Just keep plugging things in until it goes dark or lights
up the whole neighborhood.

Michelle has written in with a question that is similar to: "What's
the weather like"?

No, not at all. Reading comprehension problems?

Well, I don't know, Michelle.

Neither do I.

I don't live where you are. Why are

Why do you care about where anyone but the OP lives? That's OT.

you asking here for something that you should be consulting a local
professional for?

The OP DID that; reading comprehension problems again?

I have these sores around my ..... well ...... you know .............
Yesterday, my fingers started falling off. I'm down to eyesight in
one eye.
What should I do?

It's your monitor! Get far, far away from it! And if the condition
doesn't improve within three months, see a PA or veterinary doc or
something; maybe a free clinic. Most will keep your diseases a secret
these days.

Doesn't make a lot of sense for someone to be writing in here in
vague terms asking about things they really need to find out
themselves where they live.

But ... but ... that's what you did! Got reading comprehension/projection
problems too?
And, did you ASK any questions? Did you ask her for the numbers on her
meter? Did you ask for any info on the box? ALL things that anyone could
likely see and write down with a modicum of instruction. No, you didn't.
But you sure still had a hell of a lot to say with your "recommendations".

But it does make for fun conversation.

No, it makes for a pretty stupid set of posts from you, which have now
been memorialized for all time in archives at Google and about a thousand
other such repositiories around the world for all to see now and after
your grand-children's children pass on. You should learn to us x- lines
if you dont' want to be recorded for all posterity.
And after that you could use some education. And interpersonal skills.
And real world knowledge and experience. And ...

Steve

You're wrong, because these groups are a great place for confirmation and
verification of information if nothing else. The majority of people have
answered based simply on the input given and nothing more, because there
WAS enough to make certain judgements on. Some others felt the need to
suggest spending huge amounts of money on service upgrades and rewiring
et al, and although those are options, there was nothing in the OP to
indicate that money was no problem; in fact, it seems it would have been,
or an electrician would have made different recommendations than
suggesting that the breaker was simply likely worn out, and recommending a
replacement. He could have gone for the big bucks first, but he didn't,
and if he's an actual electrician as many have pointed out, he's doing the
right thing by the OP. We don't know what else he suggested as possible
alternatives, but we do know he said the brkr appeared faulty and that
replacing it should put the OP back in business again. Since it's his rep
on the line, it's likely to be good advice.
OTOH, had the OP said the electrician had this 50A camper breaker
sitting in his truck, and between that and rewiring 3/4 of the house in 14
ga wire, he could fix her right up, well, there might have been a LOT of
Verify and confirm; it can be a LOT of comfort to those wondering if
they have decent advice or not, and I believe the concensus presented
here, is the correct one.

And lastly, the OP wanted to know if a 90 vs a 100 amp brkr would be an OK
change? Which of course it is.

Flame back, whatever you like; I won't be answering you. I've vented and
had my mental entertainment now, so there's nothing left to say.

HTH, I really do.

You've covered the subject, and out of the list of usual suspects, given the
best advice yet.

But, you really do need to get a life.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "SteveB" wrote:

Um, you forgot to say that I'm humble enough to say that she should have it
assessed by a professional where she lives

And stupid enough not to realize that she's already done exactly that.