Posted to alt.home.repair

Default separate oil from water?

I have a small quantity of some mystery oil (from a manometer), that's
gotten a water bubble sitting in the bottom of it. I need to get the
water out. There's only about a tsp or two of oil, so I can't afford to
waste any in the process. I'm thinking this would mean a filter or
membrane-ish thing that wouldn't absorb any of the oil.

Any ideas appreciated.

George
Posted to alt.home.repair

"George" wrote in message
I have a small quantity of some mystery oil (from a manometer), that's
gotten a water bubble sitting in the bottom of it. I need to get the
water out. There's only about a tsp or two of oil, so I can't afford to
waste any in the process. I'm thinking this would mean a filter or
membrane-ish thing that wouldn't absorb any of the oil.

Any ideas appreciated.

George

Try letting it settle out in a vial and them pouring off the oil. Or sucking
the water out with a hypodermic needle. Many manometers use a silicone oil
for stability. You'd probably have to buy a quart of it though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 22:25:49 -0400, George wrote:
I have a small quantity of some mystery oil (from a manometer), that's
gotten a water bubble sitting in the bottom of it. I need to get the
water out. There's only about a tsp or two of oil, so I can't afford to
waste any in the process. I'm thinking this would mean a filter or
membrane-ish thing that wouldn't absorb any of the oil.

Any ideas appreciated.

syringe to the bottom into the water bubble.
Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:
I have a small quantity of some mystery oil (from a manometer), that's
gotten a water bubble sitting in the bottom of it. I need to get the
water out. There's only about a tsp or two of oil, so I can't afford
to waste any in the process. I'm thinking this would mean a filter or
membrane-ish thing that wouldn't absorb any of the oil.

Any ideas appreciated.

George

Heat it.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 22:25:49 -0400, George wrote:

I have a small quantity of some mystery oil (from a manometer), that's
gotten a water bubble sitting in the bottom of it. I need to get the
water out. There's only about a tsp or two of oil, so I can't afford to
waste any in the process. I'm thinking this would mean a filter or
membrane-ish thing that wouldn't absorb any of the oil.

Any ideas appreciated.

George

Would the corner of a paper towel work to absorb the water? Or how about
one of those tiny straws for stirring coffee? Capillary action should be
sufficient to remove a few drops of water.

Franz Fripplfrappl

Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:
I have a small quantity of some mystery oil (from a manometer), that's
gotten a water bubble sitting in the bottom of it. I need to get the
water out. There's only about a tsp or two of oil, so I can't afford to
waste any in the process. I'm thinking this would mean a filter or
membrane-ish thing that wouldn't absorb any of the oil.

Any ideas appreciated.

George

If you can get the "wet" oil into another container bubble carbon
dioxide through it. If you can get a very small piece of dry ice that
will provide the CO2; perhaps shaking the oil with a bit of dry ice.
Make sure you don't add condensed water from the air because the dry ice
will be cold.

Water dissolves very well in CO2. I've used it often with
microstructures to remove water when filling them with other liquid
materials.