Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to remove green patina copper sulfate oxidation?

I've been googling on how to clean green patina, or rather copper
sulfate oxidation from come metalic components. All I can find is how to
add it, not remove it! Evidently, this green substance is desirable for
certain applications, such as artwork. What can I use to remove it from
some copper hinges?

-Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 09:21:41 -0400, somebody wrote:

I've been googling on how to clean green patina, or rather copper
sulfate oxidation from come metalic components. All I can find is how
to add it, not remove it! Evidently, this green substance is desirable
for certain applications, such as artwork. What can I use to remove it
from some copper hinges?

-Thanks

There's copper cleaner used to clean pots/pans. Bar Keeper's Friend
should also work. Both can be found in grocery and hardware stores.
Both are very mild abrasives.

Follow directions. Use old toothbrush for tight spots.

Franz Fripplfrappl
Posted to alt.home.repair

somebody wrote:
I've been googling on how to clean green patina, or rather copper
sulfate oxidation from come metalic components. All I can find is
how to add it, not remove it! Evidently, this green substance is
desirable for certain applications, such as artwork. What can I use
to remove it from some copper hinges?

-Thanks

Navy used to use catsup for their copper galley steam tables. Because it is
acidic. Acid reduces (removes/reverses) oxides.

Abrasion works too

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 25, 10:06�am, "dadiOH" wrote:
somebody wrote:
I've been googling on how to clean green patina, or rather copper
sulfate oxidation from come metalic components. �All I can find is
how to add it, not remove it! �Evidently, this green substance is
desirable for certain applications, such as artwork. �What can I use
to remove it from some copper hinges?

-Thanks

Navy used to use catsup for their copper galley steam tables. �Because it is
acidic. �Acid reduces (removes/reverses) oxides.

Abrasion works too �

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
Get it athttp://mysite.verizon.net/xico

to prevent poatina from reoccuring, clean completely then spray with
clear acrylic.

always thought copper roofs looked bad once they aged........

new copper is pretty
Posted to alt.home.repair
k k is offline

dilute sulfuric acid - about 5% in water. Be careful, because it tickles
and puts holes in your clothes. Then spray with clear Krylon or some such.

Keith

"somebody" wrote in message
. ..
I've been googling on how to clean green patina, or rather copper
sulfate oxidation from come metalic components. All I can find is how to
add it, not remove it! Evidently, this green substance is desirable for
certain applications, such as artwork. What can I use to remove it from
some copper hinges?

-Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 6/25/2008 10:06 AM dadiOH said the following:
somebody wrote:

I've been googling on how to clean green patina, or rather copper
sulfate oxidation from come metalic components. All I can find is
how to add it, not remove it! Evidently, this green substance is
desirable for certain applications, such as artwork. What can I use
to remove it from some copper hinges?

-Thanks

Navy used to use catsup for their copper galley steam tables. Because it is
acidic. Acid reduces (removes/reverses) oxides.

Abrasion works too

The US Navy also used the powder mix for lemonade to clean the
unpainted steel floors. I don't know how it would work on copper.
This was back in the '50s, so I don't know if the current lemonade mix
is the same as then, either.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

Well, which is it? Copper sulphate is blue. This, I remember. Copper oxide
is black, if memory serves.

Copper oxide and copper sulphate are not the same.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"somebody" wrote in message
. ..
I've been googling on how to clean green patina, or rather copper
sulfate oxidation from come metalic components. All I can find is how to
add it, not remove it! Evidently, this green substance is desirable for
certain applications, such as artwork. What can I use to remove it from
some copper hinges?

-Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

somebody wrote:

I've been googling on how to clean green patina, or rather copper
sulfate oxidation from come metalic components. All I can find is how to
add it, not remove it! Evidently, this green substance is desirable for
certain applications, such as artwork. What can I use to remove it from
some copper hinges?

-Thanks

Have you tried copper polish? I've used very fine steel wool to
brighten brass, followed by clear
coat to protect. Worked great on long hinge on an upright piano.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 27, 8:08�am, Norminn wrote:
somebody wrote:
I've been googling on how to clean green patina, or rather copper
sulfate oxidation from come metalic components. �All I can find is how to
add it, not remove it! �Evidently, this green substance is desirable for
certain applications, such as artwork. �What can I use to remove it from
some copper hinges?

-Thanks

Have you tried copper polish? �I've used very fine steel wool to
brighten brass, followed by clear
coat to protect. �Worked great on long hinge on an upright piano.

a scotchbrite greenie will polish anything nice, provided its small