Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why don't US bathrooms have floor drains?

On Sun 22 Jun 2008 07:13:22a, Tony Hwang told us...

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
Americans do plumbing to a much higher standard, making such things
unnecessary

Now that is a laugh!

We have better toilets than most of Europe. We also don't have to
squat over a hole in the floor in public restrooms as I've seen in
other parts of the world. I've been to places that gave you a ration
of toilet tissue when you went in too and that is all you were expected
to use.

Hi,
Your ignorance! Sqatting is anatomically better form for bowl movement.
Ever saw an animal sitting down to phoo?
Consuming anything less is better for our planet.

We used to have a cat that was toilet trained. She would sit on the edge
of the toilet seat to do her business. We tried to teach her to flush, and
occasionally she would do it.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Sunday, 06(VI)/22(XXII)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
6.120...

We used to have a cat that was toilet trained. She would sit on the edge
of the toilet seat to do her business. We tried to teach her to flush, and
occasionally she would do it.

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obses...lushing-toilet

Posted to alt.home.repair

But if the sewer stack froze, would not have the drain on the floor be
blocked too?

Not if it's directed out through the wall, bypassing the stack, like
the OP said.
Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:
Thats a common thing you see in Japanese bathrooms with relatively new
construction. They actually use a one piece unit that is fabricated
offsite. The first time I saw one I thought that is the way a bathroom
should be built because it is so practical and easy to maintain.

You want an easy to install half-bath? That will fit under a stairwell? I
saw one in a book where industrial equipment was used for architectural
purposes.

The bath?

It was a lavatory from a scrapped airliner!

Had almost everything needed in a VERY compact space.

I don't know if the flush water was blue - would be nice touch, though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:

Your ignorance! Sqatting is anatomically better form
for bowl movement.

I'm sorry to learn of your bowel problems.

Ever saw an animal sitting down to phoo?

Ever see a human $#!t standing up?
Go ahead and $#!t like a dog in a park - but not in my parks

Consuming anything less is better for our planet.

Save on toilet paper. Wipe you @$$ with your hand.

What a marroon!

Dick

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HerHusband" wrote in message

From a practical standpoint, it adds a lot of cost and complexity to the
construction of the bathroom.

We built a "european style" curbless shower in our master bathroom. I had
to plan for this during the framing stage so I could frame the shower
floor
lower than the rest of the house floor. This also entailed adding
additional footings to support the transition in the floor structure.

Then we had to install the shower drain, and build a slope with mortar
into
the floor so water would run towards the drain. After that came the
waterproofing membrane and tile.

We LOVE our large open bathroom. No shower doors or curtains, plenty of
room to move around, it's easy to clean and mop the entire floor down
without worring about leaks, and far fewer problems with mold and mildew
with the better air flow.

However, it's a lot more work to build than slapping down a sheet of
plywood, and sliding in a ready made tub/shower unit.

Anthony

Anthony, you described it very well. It does take a lot of forethought and
work.

Ivan Vegvary

Posted to alt.home.repair

*+-Because the traps would dry up and stink would come into the room or

That may be the reason.

But now they have all sorts of gadgets for high-rises to deal with that.

- = -
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/vjp2/vasos.htm
[Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Remorse begets zeal] [Windows is for Bimbos]
Posted to alt.home.repair

In some countries water is recycled (kitchen, bath, toilet)
before being sent out..

- = -
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/vjp2/vasos.htm
[Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Remorse begets zeal] [Windows is for Bimbos]
Posted to alt.home.repair

Have you see the Swiss/Japanese self-cleansing bowls, aka automatic bidet?

Soon, they may be required under ADA disability statutes!

A thing comes up and sprays your arse with water.

- = -
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/vjp2/vasos.htm
[Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Remorse begets zeal] [Windows is for Bimbos]
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hey, what about having a little tube to rinse the walls?

They were trying these self-cleaning public toilets here in NYC a decade ago.

When you are done, it steams itself clean.

Perfect for all the hobos this town is full of.

(Especially the elected ones.)

- = -
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/vjp2/vasos.htm
[Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Remorse begets zeal] [Windows is for Bimbos]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Ed is offline

On Jun 21, 2:49*pm, "Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:
I have lived both in Australia and in Taiwan. In both countries,
bathroom floors had drains to avoid serious flooding in the case of
overflows. The bathroom floor drain in Australia even dealt with the
problem of blockage of the regular drains/sewers: the floor drain went
straight out through the wall above the ceiling of the lower story and
had an angled flap to prevent drafts but allowed the water to escape.

Why have I never encountered such in US bathrooms?

Perce

Most bathrooms in commercial buildings do have floor drains.
Interestingly, many of them are installed so as to be the high point
in the floor. The floor tile installers don't bother to adjust the
height of the pipe or perhaps don't know how.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Percival P. Cassidy, TravellingGophers wrote:
So when "sewage water" flows out of this, people literally use hands to scoop
sewage water out of toilet bowls bending head next to sewage water while
doing. People use plungers and toilet snales which cause splashes around the
bowls and they bend their head down to wipe "sewage lumps" off the floor and
apply harsh chemicals to disinfect the floor and the part the sit on. Then the
put their buttoms on the surface coated with harsh chemical. Instead of having
a simple irrigation system developed many century ago to help ease their
lives, they choose to bend their heads down to use hands to wipe of lump of
feces. It is different mentality. Again you see the type of people who instead
stick with the topics, attack the Australians. Floodings and weather issues
are everywhere including North America and people do not move away after
hurricane in FL or horrid winter in the Midwest or wild fire in CA. They build
toilets where they live no matter what kind of weather they have to face in
different seasons. Maturity is another thing. Please stick with the topic.
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/dn

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, March 23, 2018 at 10:44:08 AM UTC-5, TravellingGophers wrote:
[...]

You're too late, 10 years ago, Percival was abducted by giant mutant gerbils from Outerspace. The giant critters took him away in their flying saucer and it's feared that Percival may have been used as a sex slave before the giant mutant gerbils ate him. It was a real tragedy. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Space Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, June 21, 2008 at 2:49:56 PM UTC-5, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
I have lived both in Australia and in Taiwan. In both countries,
bathroom floors had drains to avoid serious flooding in the case of
overflows. The bathroom floor drain in Australia even dealt with the
problem of blockage of the regular drains/sewers: the floor drain went
straight out through the wall above the ceiling of the lower story and
had an angled flap to prevent drafts but allowed the water to escape.

Why have I never encountered such in US bathrooms?

https://www.quora.com/Why-dont-many-...ater-to-go-out

Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

[...]

This is why we must think about the Space Patrol. It's too late after they
have the upper paw.

--
Tekkie

[OLD HOUSE STUFF] Of washing machines and floor drains [email protected] Home Repair 1 March 26th 08 06:24 PM
basement floor drains rusted shut? aemeijers Home Repair 0 June 20th 07 04:29 AM
floor drains Andy Hall UK diy 2 April 23rd 07 05:07 PM
INSURANCE ADVICE REQD: Leaking drains, Subsidence & rotting floor joists. HJWD UK diy 0 October 27th 05 11:59 AM
Laminate floor & Bathrooms Jason Pearce UK diy 12 March 2nd 05 04:06 PM