Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Do you "seal" the viscreen before pouring the concrete slab?

I had opened up five big holes in my concrete slab in various locations to
do drain relocation or repairs. Now I am ready to fill it back up. I got
all the rebars and ties ready. I have already pack the sand back into the
holes up to the bottom of the old slab, soaked the sand thoroughly with
Termidor for termite treatment.

I have also cut a thick viscreen to roughly match the hole size and laid it
down. I am running into two issues.

(1) There are a few places where the copper pipes are coming up to the
manifold, and in that area it's too busy for a viscreen. What should I do
there?

(2) Along the seam where the new viscreen ends and the old viscreen was torn
apart, is there a way to "seal" that off? I asked around and one suggestion
was to use roofing tar...I am not sure of that, another suggestion would be
to spray those expansion foam sealer (like "GREAT STUFF") around the old
concrete edge and new viscreen, as well as all around the copper pipes, then
pour the concrete slab. Would that work? Seems like an interesting idea
but if that stuff expands it would be like concrete sitting on sponge and
when the sponge goes brittle and break off then there is no support, it may
collapse on the pipe?

Any thoughts on the roofing tar or foam idea or any other?

The concrete slab is 4" think and will have rebars tieing the old and new
concrete together.

Thanks,

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

(2) Along the seam where the new viscreen ends and the old viscreen was
torn apart, is there a way to "seal" that off?

visQueen aka Vapor barrier.. Yes, use red Tuck Tape to tape the overlap.

http://www.can-save.ca/index.php?opt...95&Item id=93

Make sure you cover it ALL, including where the pipes are..do what you can
with the sheet plastic, then use the tape

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rudy" wrote in message
(2) Along the seam where the new viscreen ends and the old viscreen was
torn apart, is there a way to "seal" that off?

visQueen aka Vapor barrier.. Yes, use red Tuck Tape to tape the
overlap.

http://www.can-save.ca/index.php?opt...95&Item id=93

Make sure you cover it ALL, including where the pipes are..do what you can
with the sheet plastic, then use the tape

Thanks. I will try this. Is Tuck Tape a better duct tape?

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, use red Tuck Tape to tape the overlap.

http://www.can-save.ca/index.php?opt...95&Item id=93

Make sure you cover it ALL, including where the pipes are..do what you
can with the sheet plastic, then use the tape

Thanks. I will try this. Is Tuck Tape a better duct tape?

Its what the 'pros' use so I go with it too
BTW, Duct (duck) tape isn't really for taping ducts..use aluminum foil tape
for that application.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun 22 Jun 2008 06:56:43p, Rudy told us...

Yes, use red Tuck Tape to tape the overlap.

http://www.can-save.ca/index.php?opt...view&id=195&It
emid=93

Make sure you cover it ALL, including where the pipes are..do what you
can with the sheet plastic, then use the tape

Thanks. I will try this. Is Tuck Tape a better duct tape?

Its what the 'pros' use so I go with it too
BTW, Duct (duck) tape isn't really for taping ducts..use aluminum foil
tape for that application.

Duct tape was the standard used for taping ducts before the introduction of
aluminum or SS foil tape. While the latter may actually be better, the
former can still be usued for the purpose.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Sunday, 06(VI)/22(XXII)/08(MMVIII)