Posted to alt.home.repair

Default toilet not flushing

One of the 3 toilets in my house doesn't flush completely about 50% of the
time. Usually, when the toilet doesn't flush completely, any solids will
still be removed but the water just kinds of swirls around without
completely flushing. If I reflush (when tank refills) the second time will
almost always work OK. Sometimes the first flush will work just fine.

The toilet has been in the house since it was built in the 70s. The toilet
is not the newer type that uses less water.

I have tried a plunger, but I don't think the line is blocked. Shower and
sink in the same bathroom work OK.

I have had this problem on and off for years but I've just lived with it.
Lately, it seems to be getting a little worse.

Thanks for any advice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

trailer wrote in message ...
[...]

"hallerb" in this newsgroup gave this suggestion to me and it works
beautifully. Try it, I think you'll be surprised at how well your
toilet flushes after doing this. It worked wonders on mine.

Using Muriatic Acid

First IDEALLY the toilet bowl will have NO water in it! So plunge or
sponge out the water in the bottom of the bowl.

Tank water doesnt matter.

Wear safety glasses, have window on or exhaust fan on.

Use funnel pour about a cup down the dip tube, and perhaps a cup in
the bowl. Work pretty fast.

Like take a deep breathe, hold it, pour in acid, leave room wear
rubber gloves.

Shut door wait 15 minutes, flush repeatedly like 5 to 10 times.

Actually despite the warnings muriatic acid is pretty mild, you DONt
want it in your eyes or splashed on floor or belongings but I touched
some just to see, my finger didnt rot off

dO IT TWICE IF NECESSARY, you will likely see lots of brown gunk from
the bowl rim in the bowl.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"trailer" wrote in message
One of the 3 toilets in my house doesn't flush completely about 50% of the
time. Usually, when the toilet doesn't flush completely, any solids will
still be removed but the water just kinds of swirls around without
completely flushing. If I reflush (when tank refills) the second time
will
almost always work OK. Sometimes the first flush will work just fine.

The toilet has been in the house since it was built in the 70s. The
toilet
is not the newer type that uses less water.

I have tried a plunger, but I don't think the line is blocked. Shower and
sink in the same bathroom work OK.

I have had this problem on and off for years but I've just lived with it.
Lately, it seems to be getting a little worse.

Thanks for any advice.

If the bowl is filling up close to the rim then flowing slowly down the
drain, then it is a partial clog in the drain and best cleared with a snake.
You can have a blockage in the toilet trap which will not effect any other
fixture.

If it fills incompletely but otherwise flushes with diminished water supply
then the flush valve needs adjusting so that the tank can fill more or the
flapper valve needs replacing or the chain to the flapper valve needs to be
shorter so it can open all the way.

Another possibility is that there is enough water but it is restricted
between the tank and bowl so it moves slowly. This is usually caused by
lime scale build up (do you have hard water) (or occasionally debris dropped
in the tank) and can be cleared with acid, CLR, vinegar etc added to the
tank and flushed through a few times. A very bad case can be cleaned by
digging out the water ports along the rim but if it gets to that point,
might as well replace it. They don't necessarily cost too much if you get a
basic model and DIY.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 16:54:10 GMT, "trailer" wrote:

One of the 3 toilets in my house doesn't flush completely about 50% of the
time. Usually, when the toilet doesn't flush completely, any solids will
still be removed but the water just kinds of swirls around without
completely flushing. If I reflush (when tank refills) the second time will
almost always work OK. Sometimes the first flush will work just fine.

The toilet has been in the house since it was built in the 70s. The toilet
is not the newer type that uses less water.

I have tried a plunger, but I don't think the line is blocked. Shower and
sink in the same bathroom work OK.

I have had this problem on and off for years but I've just lived with it.
Lately, it seems to be getting a little worse.

Thanks for any advice.

Reposted from the past...............

I had a toilet a few years ago that had similar problems.

In the end it turned out that my teen age daughter dropped a stick
of deodorant into the toilet. Instead of doing the awful thing of
reaching into the toilet bowl she decided to just flush the problem
away. The stick made the turn around the first part of the S curve but
couldn't go any further. It was stuck in the middle of the S curve. It
was not visible and a toilet auger would just bypass it. I tied a
three prong fish hook to a sturdy string and flushed it. It would
catch something but couldn't pull it out.

I finally took the toilet outside and maneuvered a 1/4 inch rope
through the S curve and tied the rope to an old fashioned mop head. I
attempted to pull the mop head backwards through the S curve and
with it the obstruction but this didn't work either.

I still had no idea what the obstruction was. My daughter never
admitted to having any knowledge of the missing stick of deodorant.

After a few months of putting up with a toilet that would clog easily
I took matters into my own hand. HAMMER! DEODORANT! ANGRY!

After I calmed down I went to Home Depot to get a new toilet. It
was only then that I discovered that the size (3.5 gallon) and the
color (Harvest Gold) was not available. I settled for a 1.6 gallon
white Kohler.

A few years went by with my mis-matched toilet and then my neighbor
had a garage sale. In the sale he had his old 3.5 gallon Harvest Gold
toilet left over from his updated bathroom with a "free" sign on it.
Bingo. I'm back to being matched again with my 70's style bathroom.

P.S. I do not have a avocado refrigerator

Toilet - not flushing [email protected] UK diy 13 November 26th 06 11:40 PM
Toilet flushing improperly jonpoi Home Repair 2 September 11th 06 04:01 PM
Flushing toilet getting harder sqferryman UK diy 4 August 11th 06 06:50 PM
toilet not flushing BB4LTC Home Repair 7 April 21st 06 04:26 AM
Toilet flushing problem [difficult flushing-possible vent problem] [email protected] Home Ownership 4 March 19th 05 10:30 AM