Posted to alt.home.repair

Default attic fan ???????????

Does it make sense to put an attic fan in the roof when my roof has gables
on each side and a ridge vent roof ?

My second floor of my Cape Cod really does not cool efficiently via my
Central Air system, nor do any of my neighbors homes which are the same
style.

The upstairs has 2 rooms , the stairs put you into the first room and you
have to walk through the first room through a door to get to the second
room. Each has a vent and there is only 1 return in the back room.

Posted to alt.home.repair

My vote would be, "yes", for an automatic attic fan that goes on at a
certain temperature.

Also, if there is any way to insulate the space where the exterior roof and
the second floor (sloped) ceiling are one and the same, that will make a
huge difference. I did that in a house I used to own and I could literally
feel the difference immediately. In my case, the was a small attic area and
a small storage-like space behind the short side walls of the room. I went
into the side storage space area and pushed insulation up into those space
and it was a huge immediate improvement.

" Postal68" wrote in message
. ..
Does it make sense to put an attic fan in the roof when my roof has gables
on each side and a ridge vent roof ?

My second floor of my Cape Cod really does not cool efficiently via my
Central Air system, nor do any of my neighbors homes which are the same
style.

The upstairs has 2 rooms , the stairs put you into the first room and you
have to walk through the first room through a door to get to the second
room. Each has a vent and there is only 1 return in the back room.

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Postal68 wrote:
Does it make sense to put an attic fan in the roof when my roof has gables
on each side and a ridge vent roof ?

My second floor of my Cape Cod really does not cool efficiently via my
Central Air system, nor do any of my neighbors homes which are the same
style.

The upstairs has 2 rooms , the stairs put you into the first room and you
have to walk through the first room through a door to get to the second
room. Each has a vent and there is only 1 return in the back room.

Put a thermometer in the attic and measure the temperature on a hot day.
You can get a quick reading oven thermometer at WalMart for about 4 bucks.

I would say if it's over about 130 F you could benefit from a fan. I
have a gable fan, and it keeps my attic at or below about 120 F. Before
I installed it, 150 F was not uncommon.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Postal68
@comcast.Yeahbaby.com ( Postal68) says...
Does it make sense to put an attic fan in the roof when my roof has gables
on each side and a ridge vent roof ?

My second floor of my Cape Cod really does not cool efficiently via my
Central Air system, nor do any of my neighbors homes which are the same
style.

The upstairs has 2 rooms , the stairs put you into the first room and you
have to walk through the first room through a door to get to the second
room. Each has a vent and there is only 1 return in the back room.

It would probably help. Be aware that most attic fans make quite a bit
of noise. They move lots of air. I installed mine in the gable of the
garage, which is away from the living area, so it is not noisy inside
the house. If you need to put the fan near an occupied room, buy one
with a good sound rating.

--
For email, replace firstnamelastinitial
with my first name and last initial.

Attic Fan, Whole House Fan, Pressurizing Attic? Scott Townsend Home Repair 3 August 26th 09 04:30 PM
My hot attic Steve Kulpa Home Repair 20 July 26th 06 12:13 AM
Hot attic AL Home Repair 11 July 17th 05 06:38 PM
Attic mold issue revisited - 105 degree attic temperature today jeff Home Repair 7 March 31st 04 03:24 AM
Attic mold issue revisited - 105 degree attic temperature today jeff Home Ownership 3 March 30th 04 06:21 PM