Posted to alt.home.repair
ken ken is offline

Default coolair4000

Our central a/c doesn't do much for our upstairs rooms and i am
thinking of buying a coolair4000 unit to supplement.

we live in the Wash DC area where the humidity is high - will the
coolair4000 unit help us cool the bedroom areas upstairs?

Somewhere i read that evaopratif coolers shouldn;t be used in high
humidity

Ken
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon 09 Jun 2008 05:18:42a, ken told us...

Our central a/c doesn't do much for our upstairs rooms and i am
thinking of buying a coolair4000 unit to supplement.

we live in the Wash DC area where the humidity is high - will the
coolair4000 unit help us cool the bedroom areas upstairs?

Somewhere i read that evaopratif coolers shouldn;t be used in high
humidity

Ken

Evaporative coolers can cause many problems when used under high humidity
conditions, as they add additional humidity that can be soaked up by your
drywall, carpet, furniture, etc., and can cause damage. Not to mention
that everything will feel damp to you and it can cause mold growth.

Operating an evaporative cooler in conjunction with air conditioning just
makes the a/c work harder to remove the humidity from the air.

If you need a cooling boost in your upstairs bedroom, consider a window
mounted a/c, or one of the newer portable models that sits in the room and
uses a duct to the window to exhaust the hot air and condensate.

Having said all that, evaporative coolers work quite well in very low
humidity conditions, such as Arizona where I live.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Monday, 06(VI)/09(IX)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
A window AC is not an "evaporative cooler". Go ahead, and buy it.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"ken" wrote in message
Our central a/c doesn't do much for our upstairs rooms and i am
thinking of buying a coolair4000 unit to supplement.

we live in the Wash DC area where the humidity is high - will the
coolair4000 unit help us cool the bedroom areas upstairs?

Somewhere i read that evaopratif coolers shouldn;t be used in high
humidity

Ken

I am not familiar with the "Coolair 4000" but window mount evaporative
coolers using water do exist. They work very well in the desert Southwest
and other areas of very low humidity. You would not be happy with one in the
DC area. Either get an air conditioner or save your money and get a fan.

Don Young