Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 120v any different on 3phase than 1phase?

I am installing a 120v water heater. The panel is 120v/208v rather than the
120v/240v I am used to. It looks pretty much the same; do I do anything
differently?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ted wrote:

I am installing a 120v water heater. The panel is 120v/208v rather than the
120v/240v I am used to. It looks pretty much the same; do I do anything
differently?

Hi,
No.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ted" wrote in message
I am installing a 120v water heater. The panel is 120v/208v rather than
the 120v/240v I am used to. It looks pretty much the same; do I do
anything differently?
No, you connect to any one of the three hot legs and the neutral. If it
were a 240 volt heater, you'd loose some BTU's connecting to 208

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:
Ted wrote:

I am installing a 120v water heater. The panel is 120v/208v rather
than the 120v/240v I am used to. It looks pretty much the same; do
I do anything differently?

Hi,
No.

You are so right. :-)
--
Moe Jones
http://www.MoeJones.info

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 20:44:13 -0400, "Ted" wrote:

I am installing a 120v water heater. The panel is 120v/208v rather than the
120v/240v I am used to. It looks pretty much the same; do I do anything
differently?

I get the feeling you are doing this on a commercial installation.

That is a scary question coming from a commercial electrician.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"metspitzer" wrote in message
On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 20:44:13 -0400, "Ted" wrote:

I am installing a 120v water heater. The panel is 120v/208v rather than
the
120v/240v I am used to. It looks pretty much the same; do I do anything
differently?

I get the feeling you are doing this on a commercial installation.

That is a scary question coming from a commercial electrician.

They have 3phase to power some very large pumps. I wouldn't touch any of
that. This is just a simple 120v water heater; as long as it is the same as
1phase I am fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 8, 11:10 pm, metspitzer wrote:
On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 20:44:13 -0400, "Ted" wrote:
I am installing a 120v water heater. The panel is 120v/208v rather than the
120v/240v I am used to. It looks pretty much the same; do I do anything
differently?

I get the feeling you are doing this on a commercial installation.

That is a scary question coming from a commercial electrician.

I get the feeling this is a DIYer or a non-electrician handyman, most
likely in an apartment building, though I'm told there are rare cases
of single family houses near commercial areas which are supplied with
3-ph.

120V water heaters use more amps than the more common 240V ones, so
I'd recommend the OP double-check the ampacity of his cables and
breaker.

Chip C
Toronto
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tom Horne wrote:

Larry
The kind of power arrangement you are talking about is rare and
absolutely forbidden inside a dwelling unit in most places.

My house in Dallas, Texas has Wye 3 phase power.
-- Doug