Posted to alt.home.repair
metspitzer metspitzer is offline

Default 120v any different on 3phase than 1phase?

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 06:55:49 -0700, Larry Caldwell
wrote:

In article ,
(Ted) says...
I am installing a 120v water heater. The panel is 120v/208v rather than the
120v/240v I am used to. It looks pretty much the same; do I do anything
differently?

Check the leg with a volt meter before making the connection. To
balance the vectors in 3-phase, one leg has a higher voltage. If you
already have a 120 volt panel, the installer will have taken care of
this for you.

High legs are sometimes found in 240V Delta connected transformers.
120/208 are Y connected.

The only time I ever worked in a building where there was a high leg,
there was one panel for 3 phase only and a separate panel for single
phase. The single phase panel only had the two phases that gave 120V
to neutral so there was no way to end up with 190 to neutral.