Posted to alt.home.repair

Default York vs Trane AC?

Does anyone know how good the York home air conditioning units are? I
was looking into the York Affinity 5T series...seemed to offer alot
compared to Trane. I'm not arguing Trane is a top dog unit...everyone
seems to say they are very good. I want a good unit, but it doesn't
need to be the best. The price differential is quite significant.

Is York considered one of the "good" brands out there? I have not
been able to find much feedback on them...for better or worse.

Thanks

-Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Roy Starrin wrote:

Yes, but installation makes the big difference with any A/C.

I was just coming back to add to my earlier response for OP to not leave
out or minimize any difference in installer/installation in that cost
differential...

Posted to alt.home.repair

ya and pay 300% more when it breaks down. and it will.

"Duff2" wrote in message

York is NOT as good as the Trane. Pay about 40% more for the Trane.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri 06 Jun 2008 01:58:22p, told us...

Does anyone know how good the York home air conditioning units are? I
was looking into the York Affinity 5T series...seemed to offer alot
compared to Trane. I'm not arguing Trane is a top dog unit...everyone
seems to say they are very good. I want a good unit, but it doesn't
need to be the best. The price differential is quite significant.

Is York considered one of the "good" brands out there? I have not
been able to find much feedback on them...for better or worse.

Thanks

-Joe

There's no disputing that Trane is a top quality product. However, York
also makes a excellent product. My dad was an engineer with York
Corporation for nearly 35 years. We never had anything but York in the
various homes my parents' owned, and there was never a problem. I also had
York in two of my homes and never had a problem.

York is one of the oldest manufacturers of A/C and refrigeration equipment,
preceded only by Carrier, IIRC. Trane is manufactured by American
Standard, and has not been around nearly as long. Of course, this in
informational only, as the history of A/C's pioneers has little to do with
the quality of today's products.

You need to compare efficiency ratings of the units that you're looking at,
as well as what the quoted installation costs include and how they compare
in cost.

Let us know...

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 06(VI)/07(VII)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

[...]

Hi,
Quality of installation matters a lot too. Poorly installed best
equipment may not work well vs. Quality installation with second tier
equipment.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat 07 Jun 2008 08:50:15a, Tony Hwang told us...

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

[...]

You're absolutely right.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 06(VI)/07(VII)/08(MMVIII)
Last time I was stoned, I tried to eat
an airport.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"S. Barker" wrote in
:

"Duff2" wrote in message

York is NOT as good as the Trane. Pay about 40% more for the Trane.

I've heard Trane repairs can be relatively pricey.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 08:28:02 -0500, BillGill
wrote:
I have one minor problem with my York system. The heater blower is very
loud. The AC compressor is very quiet, but not the inside blower. Other
than that the unit has worked very well for several years now. I had
one problem the first summer after I had it put in. The expansion valve
(is that right?) stuck the first spring when I tried to start cooling. But
they got it fixed in one day at no cost since it was less than a year old.

You might want to post that problem here. If you do, ensure you post
the nomenclature data for the units involved, i.e., the system and the
blower.
http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/forumdispla...06e1a96 3&f=1
Note if it is supposed to be a variable speed blower, and whether it
seems to be operating that way. Also, if the duct system is new and
sized to the system, or whether they simply changed the hardware.
HTH