Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Crack in PT support

I'm building a 'shelf' in a damp area of the basement out of 4x4 PT wood.
The shelf sits on a ledger board in the corner of the basement. The ledger
board is supported by 5 posts, three on the long dimension (4') and two more
on the short dimesnion (2'). The ledger boards and the suport posts are all
screwed to the block wall with Tapcon cement screws. The posts are attached
to the ledger boards with Simpon StrongTie post caps. There are also two
more free standing support posts supporting the free edge of the shelf, also
connected using Simpson connectors. This may seem like overkill, but the
shelf has to support 1000 lbs and failure is not an option.

Now for the bad news. As I was attaching the free legs I hit some knots near
the front corner of the shelf. A crack has apeared down the length of the
shelf's front edge (4x4). It's doubtful that this beam will separate, since
the there are 6" lag bolts holding the crossers to the front and back beams.
But I assume this would seriously weaken the strength of the front beam.
Replacing the beam will mean a complete tear down, but I may have no option.

Any labour saving solutions would be appreciated.

telecom support \(Rene Jordaan\) Jordaan Telecommunicatie Home Repair 0 February 28th 08 02:49 PM
Thank you for your support dashawn42000 Home Repair 2 June 26th 07 11:31 AM
5520A Support Steve Electronics Repair 0 June 7th 07 04:19 AM
Decking support Stephen UK diy 3 May 12th 05 04:35 PM
New Embedded TCP/IP support Chris Stephens Electronics 0 November 19th 03 01:53 PM