Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Looking for good photos to help identify grass species in my lawn...

It sounds like the grass you planted is ryegrass, and you have a
fescue lawn (broadleaf, darker green, grows well in shade, stressful
areas).

The bag of seed you used should have the percentages of seed type on
the back, if you can find the bag. If you know where you bought it and
which bag it was, you can go back to the store and read the bag. Then
you will know which seed NOT to get.

My suggestion would be to lightly overseed the rest of the lawn around
there with the remainder of your 'patch' seed if you have some left so
it blends, and overseed the patch area now and twice a year with the
correct seed and feed it well.

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 17:38:20 -0400, RamblinOn
wrote:

BeamGuy wrote:

I will admit I'm pretty much a beginner, and I have sinned. I reseeded a patch of my lawn
with the wrong type grass seed, and now I have a bright, almost lime green island of stuff
that I would swear is crab-grass in the middle of the rest of my dark green lawn with tiny
little blades that stand straight up. Assuming grass was grass I used several bags of
different seed, I'm not even sure which bag contains the offending seed.

I've searched the web, and found some seed companies that have photos, but those photos
are just a little larger than a postage stamp on my monitor and usually are taken from about
6 feet up, with no scale... not much help. Is there a good site that has large photos, close
up, with scales so that I can identify both the culprit and the desired species?

Thanks...

I would cut a plug of each, including sod, and take it in a plastic bag
to the county extension agent. Blue grass is fine and dark bluish
green, so mebbe the good stuff is blue grass. Narrow it down by going
back to where you bought the light colored stuff and check the labels.
If the light stuff is just emerging, it may be too soon to tell whether
it is a different grass. How long since you seeded it? Mixed
throughout the lawn, or just a couple of patches? Crab grass has long
runners beneath the surface, as does quack grass, and both are usually
yellower than lawn grasses.

If the lawn was put in by a contractor, fairly recently, they can
probably help you out depending on how badly you've mucked it up. If
you scattered a different lawn grass seed throughout the entire lawn,
and it is all up, there might not be much you can do. Most weed
killers, atrazine for crab/quack and other grassy weeds and the kind
intended for broadleaf weeds, carry a warning not to use them on newly
emergent grass. Using a weed killer might keep down the unwanted stuff
but I would ask an expert.

Or, start taking walks around the neighborhood, and find the guy who has
a similar lawn and spends all his free time on the lawn. He will know
what to do )