Posted to alt.home.repair
Al Al is offline

Default Salt water pool chlorinator

Hi All

Recently bought "Krystal Clear salt water system " Model 8110 with the Intex brand.

It's a salt water chlorinator.

Ok .....The unit consists of some electronics including a programmable timer that
witches itself on and off as programmed. As far as I can figure, it switches on and
off the 110 volt line current to a step down transformer,then to a rectifier then to
titanium plates acting as cathode and anode in the water flow.

What I want to do, is to have the chlorinator control the on off switching of my 220
volt pump so that I do not have to turn the pump on and off manually or run a
separate timer.

I have a suitable 110 volt relay to switch the 220 volt current to the 1.5 horse
pump. I don't expect the coil in the relay would draw much more then 10 or 15 watts
so there should be no problem drawing power for it from the chlorinator.

Does anyone know exactly how to do what I want to do. I myself have a terrible
track record on these electronic things. I usually make them smoke and once
the smoke comes out they never work again! (O:

Thanks in advance!

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 5/30/2008 9:00 AM Claude Hopper (11) 5. ? said the following:
Al wrote:
[...]

Does salt water need chlorination?

A salt water chlorification machine (aka Chlorine Generator) makes
chlorine from salt water. Salt is sodium chloride. Remove the sodium and
you have chlorine.
The salt used is non-iodized salt that is almost 100% pure. You can use
regular water softener salt, but it works slower than granular salt.
The salt added to the pool is about the same as a water softener adds
salt to household water. There is no salt taste, smell, or feel.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY