Posted to alt.home.repair
N/A N/A is offline

Default Wood surface patio?

I am considering to build a patio with a roof. I am debating whether to use
16" squared patio stones, or using trated 1.25"x6" deck boards on
top of 2"x4" treated studs, flat layed. That will leave 1.5" space under
the deck board.

Eventhough I am going to put 4" of gravel underneath, I may still have some
drainage issue. Will mold grow under the deck board? If it does, will it
grow
to the otherside (deck surface)?

It will be a small patio/deck (16'x16'), covered with those pieces of clear
plastic roofs, outside the doors of the walkout basement.

Thanks. Y.

Posted to alt.home.repair

N/A wrote:
I am considering to build a patio with a roof. I am debating whether to use
16" squared patio stones, or using trated 1.25"x6" deck boards on
top of 2"x4" treated studs, flat layed. That will leave 1.5" space under
the deck board.

Eventhough I am going to put 4" of gravel underneath, I may still have some
drainage issue. Will mold grow under the deck board? If it does, will it
grow
to the otherside (deck surface)?

It will be a small patio/deck (16'x16'), covered with those pieces of clear
plastic roofs, outside the doors of the walkout basement.

Thanks. Y.

Hi,
Where do you live?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"N/A" wrote in message news:xc4%j.8670$4c.5024@trnddc08...
I am considering to build a patio with a roof. I am debating whether to use
16" squared patio stones, or using trated 1.25"x6" deck boards on
top of 2"x4" treated studs, flat layed. That will leave 1.5" space under
the deck board.

Eventhough I am going to put 4" of gravel underneath, I may still have
some
drainage issue. Will mold grow under the deck board? If it does, will it
grow
to the otherside (deck surface)?

It will be a small patio/deck (16'x16'), covered with those pieces of
clear
plastic roofs, outside the doors of the walkout basement.

Thanks. Y.

Why would you want the maintenance of a wood deck when you can have a
concrete patio? IMO, it is a no brainer

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 28 May 2008 03:21:01 GMT, "N/A" wrote:

I am considering to build a patio with a roof. I am debating whether to use
16" squared patio stones, or using trated 1.25"x6" deck boards on
top of 2"x4" treated studs, flat layed. That will leave 1.5" space under
the deck board.

Eventhough I am going to put 4" of gravel underneath, I may still have some
drainage issue. Will mold grow under the deck board? If it does, will it
grow to the otherside (deck surface)?

Mold, moss, crickets, mice, and other vermin will love that space. And
you'll be looking at cracked, warped boards in short order.

It will be a small patio/deck (16'x16'), covered with those pieces of clear
plastic roofs, outside the doors of the walkout basement.

My personal preference would be a stone patio with a canvas cover that
could be quickly taken down when hurricanes threatened.

But at any rate stone [and I'd look at 2" thick pavers] is your best
bet. Put it on a well drained, well compacted [that means renting a
plate compactor] sub base and you'll get years of nearly maintenance
free service.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"N/A" wrote in message news:xc4%j.8670$4c.5024@trnddc08...
I am considering to build a patio with a roof. I am debating whether to use
16" squared patio stones, or using trated 1.25"x6" deck boards on
top of 2"x4" treated studs, flat layed. That will leave 1.5" space under
the deck board.

Eventhough I am going to put 4" of gravel underneath, I may still have
some
drainage issue. Will mold grow under the deck board? If it does, will it
grow
to the otherside (deck surface)?

It will be a small patio/deck (16'x16'), covered with those pieces of
clear
plastic roofs, outside the doors of the walkout basement.

Thanks. Y.

Why would you want the maintenance of a wood deck when you can have a
concrete patio? IMO, it is a no brainer

Or, why would you want to *maintain* a wood deck by refinishing it every
year? Mine looks great after ten years and I never do anything to it but
sweep it once in a while. People who refinish outdoor wood have too much
time on their hands...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 28, 7:09*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
[...]

Another option is stamped concrete, which can be made to look like
slate, stone, brick, etc in a wide array of colors. For something so
close to the ground, I'd go with either concrete or pavers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

h wrote in message
Why would you want the maintenance of a wood deck when you can have a
concrete patio? IMO, it is a no brainer

Because concrete is unbelievably ugly?

Doesn't have to be. Stamped, colored, all sorts of options. Even plain
concrete is still better than a rotted wood deck with rats or skunks living
under it.