Posted to alt.home.repair

Default montgomery ward riding lawn mower question

I have a montgomery ward riding mower from the 70's. It has a 16 hp
motor. I think the model is or is close to GIL 33035B. My question is:
when I push the clutch in the shaft rotates ,but doesn't touch
anything or push anything. In the middle of the shaft their is a place
for what looks like a small rod could fit into, but no sure. I can't
get the engine to turn over without the clutch working right. Is there
anyway I could bypass the clutch? It would be very helpful if someone
could email me pics if they had a manual for this tractor.

Thanks
Ryan
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On May 27, 1:25*pm, Ryan wrote:
I have a montgomery ward riding mower from the 70's. It has a 16 hp
motor. I think the model is or is close to GIL 33035B. My question is:
when I push the clutch in the shaft rotates ,but doesn't touch
anything or push anything. In the middle of the shaft their is a place
for what looks like a small rod could fit into, but no sure. I can't
get the engine to turn over without the clutch working right. Is there
anyway I could bypass the clutch? It would be very helpful if someone
could email me pics if they had a manual for this tractor.

Thanks
Ryan

Bypassing the clutch is not very smart. There are probably many
injuries recorded at OSHA from repairs like that. Make some phone
calls to servicing mower dealers and perhaps one will have an old-
timer in the shop that can safely solve your problem. Good luck.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ryan,

MTD makes an large number of "housebrand" lawn mowers. I'd try looking
there with your model number.
I don't understand your question. Many lawn mowers will not start unless
the clutch pedal is depressed by that's an electrical cut out and has
nothing to do with the operation of the clutch.
With the transmission in neutral, and the key or switch in the run
position you can use jumper cables on the starter motor to spin the engine.
It should start.

Dave M.