Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Go NOW to HD: super deal $17 on new sperry-instruments multimeter+

FYI: I was over at HD today -- ended up walking down one of
the "electrical" aisles, and I see hanging on the wall
this sperry-instruments "tester value pack", for all
of $17 ($17.95?), containing:

1: digital multimeter

2: voltage sensor.

Looked good to me -- sure as hell has to be better
quality (MUCH better, I'd think) that from you-know-who,
*and* far less expensive, too.

Anyway, I saw two of that dept's workers talking together,
and asked them about it (actually, about the price, since
the sticker had gotten pulled off their "site"), and they
told me the price, that it was new, had just come in, and
that that particular deal would be over as soon as the ones
they had were all gone.

So I got a few (gifts). Work fine for me.

Cheers,

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
(David Combs) wrote:

In article ,
Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
(David Combs) wrote:

FYI: I was over at HD today -- ended up walking down one of
the "electrical" aisles, and I see hanging on the wall
this sperry-instruments "tester value pack", for all
of $17 ($17.95?), containing:

1: digital multimeter

2: voltage sensor.

Looked good to me -- sure as hell has to be better
quality (MUCH better, I'd think) that from you-know-who,
*and* far less expensive, too.

Anyway, I saw two of that dept's workers talking together,
and asked them about it (actually, about the price, since
the sticker had gotten pulled off their "site"), and they
told me the price, that it was new, had just come in, and
that that particular deal would be over as soon as the ones
they had were all gone.

So I got a few (gifts). Work fine for me.

Cheers,

David

For almost every application, I'd rather have analog.

Me too. Now, where do you get such a thing, *at a reasonable
price*?

I care more about quality than price. If I can't afford the good thing,
I don't buy the thing at all.

A search for analog VOM reveals that the Simpson 260 is *still* on the
market and *still* only $200. If that's too spendy, here's one for $11.

http://www.abccables.com/604-2030.html

I ages-ago built a heathkit VTVM.

Ditto. Three of them.

Maybe 30 years ago (or more) I get a VOM from
RS -- good, bit, still works just fine.

Yep, still have mine of that vintage, also. It was about $50 back then,
IIRC. A beefy thing about the size of a Simpson and not too far away in
quality, either, for quite a bit less money.

That was RS then. :-(

What's left of the old RS is in those parts drawers they have...

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 12, 11:57*am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
(David Combs) wrote:

In article ,
Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
(David Combs) wrote:

[...]

David- Hide quoted text -

That was RS then. :-(

What's left of the old RS is in those parts drawers they have...

If you are lucky enough, you can find an independent electronics store
in your area and never have to go into an RS again. We've got one
nearby and if they don't have it, they can get it.

Better still, they either know what "it" is or can suggest an
alternative once you explain what you're working on. Try *that* at an
RS these days.