Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Decorative columns for shed-workshop

We are building a new house including garage and a 16X20 shed-
workshop. I had planned to build the shed myself but when the framing
crew said they could build it for $300 plus materials, what could I
say? I now have a 16X20 shed-workshop with Shaker roof, HardiPlank
Siding, 35-yr architectural shingles that looks like a small version
of the house.

The front roof extends out four feet -- the concrete slab is 20X26 and
the shed sits on one corner of the slab giving me a 6 ft concrete
porch on one end and 4 ft across the front. The trusses support all
the weight of the overhang.

Sweet Thing says she wants white columns on the front of the shed --
I'm happy with the shed as it is but we all know how this discussion
will end -- so -- I need columns -- 4X4, 8 feet tall, white.

-- Don't want to use treated 4X4 because my experience is that they
tend to twist, warp, and split.

-- Sweet Thing has looked at the PVC sleeves that slide over a 4X4 and
she thinks they are "too thin."

-- I thought I could find a 4X4 column made of 3/4-inch Azec but
appears that no one makes such a thing.

-- Have found several places that sell substantial fiberglass columns
but the smallest I can find is 6X6.

-- If it were left up to me, I'd get the 4X4 vinly sleeves that slide
over a 4X4 and put them up without the 4X4 -- after all, it's only
decorative -- but Sweet Thing has thrown the flag on that play.

-- Now I'm looking into a Douglas fir 4X4 that may avoid the warping
and splitting that sometimes happens with PT SYP (We are living in a
rented house with a shed that has four 4X4 cloumns on the front -- two
of the four are warped and one of those has a split down the front.).

Any suggestions???
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names wrote:
[...]

Well seeing as you are not the one wanting that ornamentation (what will
ya say to your mates when they come around ?) why not hand it over to
the ST ?
Sometimes these things have to be re-ciprocal ya know.
Rheilly P
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names" wrote:

-snip-
-- Now I'm looking into a Douglas fir 4X4 that may avoid the warping
and splitting that sometimes happens with PT SYP (We are living in a
rented house with a shed that has four 4X4 cloumns on the front -- two
of the four are warped and one of those has a split down the front.).

I'd take the missus down to the local architectural salvage place-
pick up a couple old turned columns from a house torn down- refinish
them and collect whatever favors were due me. [Lowes sells them new,
but that would be too easy.]

Round columns eliminate twisting- old [usually] eliminates splitting-
and they'll have some character.

Or I could maybe talk her into some nice wrought iron columns that I
could plant some vines on. ['I could build them myself, honey in the
new workshop. . . . just need a couple tools is all. . . .']

Jim
[oh- and BTW. . . 'you suck' for having an empty 16x20 shedg]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 22, 8:02*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
[...]

Oh, don't worry -- it won't be empty for long. We are still building
-- finish interior painting early next week then start putting down
hardwood floors; plumber finishes tomorrow; electrician tests the
standby generator Tuesday; finish exterior painting next week; apply
for cert of occupancy in three weeks and start moving out of rental
house into the new house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I understand your dilemna completely. It happens all
the time. It's when someone not planning or working
on a project which they have no intention of using
wants to change the specs for some persnickety reason.

My long-standing policy is to stop everything and say
"You take charge of it."

In this case, you have a valid reason not to put
install columns. It is best if you run your table
saw on the concrete patio and the posts will get in
the way of the lumber.

$300 plus materials is a really great deal. I got
bids on a 10x15 storage shed and the low bid was
$3,800 - without the concrete slab, $4,500 with it.
Therefore, no shed.

Dick

Re-roofing a shed/workshop David Day UK diy 9 September 20th 06 07:15 PM
Workshop/Shed wiring Sparks UK diy 8 June 20th 06 12:26 AM
Exterior electrics to new workshop(shed) Andy Jeffries UK diy 4 January 17th 06 01:01 AM
Shed/workshop wiring questions Sloper UK diy 11 December 4th 04 12:35 AM
Power to Garage and Shed/workshop Eric the Red UK diy 3 August 29th 03 06:22 PM