Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Grab bar for newly tiled shower

I'm planning to add a grab bar to a shower with porcelain tile.
Tapcons are my choice of fastener.
The question is should I drill a clearance hole in the tile or just
tap through without a clearance hole. The tile is mounted on Durok
over cbc block.
Bill
Posted to alt.home.repair

FlaBill wrote:
I'm planning to add a grab bar to a shower with porcelain tile.
Tapcons are my choice of fastener.
The question is should I drill a clearance hole in the tile or just
tap through without a clearance hole. The tile is mounted on Durok
over cbc block.
Bill

I'm no expert, but I'd say yes on the clearance hole, and also coat the
back of the grab bar flanges with RTV or use a rubber washer or
something. It helps that this is a stiff wall, but any flex in the
handle that presses bare metal against the tile surface seems like it
would run the risk of cracking a tile.

But like I said, I'm no expert, other than a lifetime of breaking things
that were supposed to be unbreakable. :^(

--
aem sends....