Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Installing grab bars in an acrylic shower

I've got to install some grab bars in the shower for mom. I've seen the
kind that mount with suction cups but we need something sturdier.

Can anyone who has installed some give me pointers? I am thinking what I
will need would be a:

level
drill
caulk
stud finder
measuring tape

and that I should look for the kind with long screws that will bite into the
(hopefully) wooden studs that should be mounted on 16" centers. I'd
appreciate any thoughts or input and/or sources for the grab bars. Not sure
if the local Home Depot or Lowe's handles such things. I bought clamp on
tub bars there, but don't recall seeing screw-in bars.

TIA

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert Green" wrote

(hopefully) wooden studs that should be mounted on 16" centers. I'd
appreciate any thoughts or input and/or sources for the grab bars.

Look for a medical supply store, they will sell them. Online, too,
of course. Good luck, sorry I can't help you with the installation.

nancy

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nancy Young" wrote in message
. ..

"Robert Green" wrote

(hopefully) wooden studs that should be mounted on 16" centers. I'd
appreciate any thoughts or input and/or sources for the grab bars.

Look for a medical supply store, they will sell them. Online, too,
of course. Good luck, sorry I can't help you with the installation.

Good idea. I found a few on Ebay (almost all were suction cup types) if I
can't scrounge one up locally. It's the installation part that's really got
me worried. I saw them do a set on This Old House a long time ago, at the
grab bar they used had an umbrella-like toggle bolt that expanded when
pushed through the hole and then you screwed it in tight. Darned if I can
find it on their website, now, though! (-: I am not even sure if this type
of shower wall can withstand that sort of stress, even with that umbrella
thing.

I've had enough suction cup experience to know I don't want mom's bones
depending on them maintaining a vacuum. I keep finding my toothbrush holder
lying in the sink in the mornings after it's suction cup unsucked.

Thanks for the suggestion, Nancy.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 12, 11:30 am, "Robert Green"
wrote:
[...]

Nancy: If you can't find and or do not use that 'umbrella type
expanding bolt', suggest you use good quality stainless steel screws
etc. Other kinds may rust or corrode.

There is sort of clear plastic bar in our tub/shower enclosure. but
it's too low to be much help. In our case did not wish to try and
fasten anything to the less than one quarter inch thick enclosure tub
walls*.

However I was able to mount a substantial stainless vertical handle
with four long ss screws just to the side of the tube enclosure. The
ss screws go through the plasterboard and into the two by four
structure around the tub opening. I can use the right hand while
stepping into the tub and can reach it with left hand stepping out.
Helps my my 73+ year old knees etc. Very solid and it looks like short
but vertical towel bar. In fact it could be used as such.

* If you do have to attach something to the wall of the tub/shower and
do not know where there is any wood behind to attach to, is there any
way to reach in and place say a piece of scrap plywood against the
back surface of the acrylic in order to spread the loading? How far
away from say a wood studded wall is the back wall surface of the tub.
You could use some pretty long (four, six inch etc.) ss screws; right?

Can completely understand the dilemma; cos once having drilled hole
through the tub wall if it's in the wrong place .........!

Anything substantial above (unlikely?) that could support a stainless
steel chain-handle-grip? Just a thought anyway.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert Green" wrote

"Nancy Young" wrote

Look for a medical supply store, they will sell them. Online, too,
of course. Good luck, sorry I can't help you with the installation.

Good idea. I found a few on Ebay (almost all were suction cup types) if I
can't scrounge one up locally.

I wouldn't go to ebay for this, I would google. I see many sources
there from medical supply places.

It's the installation part that's really got
me worried. I saw them do a set on This Old House a long time ago, at the
grab bar they used had an umbrella-like toggle bolt that expanded when
pushed through the hole and then you screwed it in tight.

Sounds to me like a situation where there weren't studs in the
right place. I'm no expert, but I would look for a stud to attach
it.

I've had enough suction cup experience to know I don't want mom's bones
depending on them maintaining a vacuum. I keep finding my toothbrush
holder
lying in the sink in the mornings after it's suction cup unsucked.

Heh, yeah, you don't want to find your mother lying in the sink.

Google on shower grab bars if you can't find a place near you. One
of those places that sells all kinds of walkers and whatnot. I hope
they come with good installation directions. This is important.

nancy

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Green wrote:
[...]

They have them at Home Depot, in several styles and lengths.

I'm remodeling my bathroom, and at the back of the tub where the towel
rack goes I put a medium-duty grab bar that *looks* like a towel rack.
And on the side wall where the soap dish normally goes, instead I put a
heavy-duty grab bar (that looks like a grab bar) for Wife and DD to line
up all their bottles of shampoo on.

Both had long wood screws to fasten to the framing. You're supposed to
make sure 2 of the 3 screws at each end go into a stud. HTH :-)

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 08:41:55 -0400, "Robert Green"
wrote:

stud finder

Locate the wall studs by checking above the enclosure. Use a level or
plumb bob to get yourself close for the handle..and find the studs. I
would follow the stainless steel screw comment.

BTW, you may have a specific local code too abide by.

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 09:30:22 -0400, "Robert Green"
wrote:

Good idea. I found a few on Ebay (almost all were suction cup types) if I
can't scrounge one up locally. It's the installation part that's really got
me worried. I saw them do a set on This Old House a long time ago, at the
grab bar they used had an umbrella-like toggle bolt that expanded when

Umbrella=like are not toggles. They might be mollies, I forget, but
not toggles, which go up and down like toggle switches. But you don't
want to use them. Especially in the case of a shower or bath tub where
water might get in and ruin the sheetrock which is all that mollies
and toggles hold to. Find a stud.

Shame on This Old House. I'll bet Bob Villa's mother wasn't going to
live there.

pushed through the hole and then you screwed it in tight. Darned if I can
find it on their website, now, though! (-: I am not even sure if this type
of shower wall can withstand that sort of stress, even with that umbrella

If we're only talking about the acrylic shower wall, it can't take any
stress. It's plastic.

thing.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

I've got to install some grab bars in the shower for mom. I've seen the
kind that mount with suction cups but we need something sturdier.

Can anyone who has installed some give me pointers? I am thinking what I
will need would be a:

level

Although level is good, you also want to eyeball it too. In a few
cases I think some things can look better based on what is pleasing to
the eye. Of course your mother has the big vote on this. I wouldn't
buy a level just for this unless you want one.

drill
caulk
stud finder

Magnetic stud finders are not much help. Electronic stud finders are
great. I forget what brand I have, black and yellow i think (if the
cheaper company didn't copy that. )

measuring tape

and that I should look for the kind with long screws that will bite into the
(hopefully)

NOt just hopefullly. Essentially. Nothing else is safe. My mother
wanted hers vertical, but if your bar is the wrong length to get studs
at both ends, then don't mount the bar level. You have to have studs
at both ends.

wooden studs that should be mounted on 16" centers. I'd
appreciate any thoughts or input and/or sources for the grab bars. Not sure
if the local Home Depot or Lowe's handles such things. I bought clamp on
tub bars there, but don't recall seeing screw-in bars.

Most drugstores like Walgreens, Rite-Aid, independents, sell things
like this. They might have a smaller selection than medical supply
stores, but what you want is among the most common things and they
might well have it. There are a lot of medical supply stores**. They
often look something like drugstores from the outside. Particularly
likely to be close to hospitals but elsewhere too. They sell retail
all the time.

**Where I lived, in a town of 30,000 both the corner grocery and the
corner toy store 5 blocks away became medical supply stores.

I put one of those on for my mother. In her case she wanted it just
outside the tub so she could hold on while lifting her leg over the
tub. She also got a bench for sitting in the tub.

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 08:41:55 -0400, "Robert Green"
wrote:

stud finder

If you want the bar in the shower, the electronic stud finder should
work right through the acryllic and the sheet rock, but if you have
doubts, go above the acryllic part, between that and the ceiling.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"betsyb" wrote

Nancy, try wetting the cups first. Works on hanging stained glass doodas
on my windows. I usually spit on them.

Thanks for the suggestion, betsy, but it's Robert's toothbrushes
giving him a hard time.

nancy

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I've got to install some grab bars in the shower for mom. I've seen the
kind that mount with suction cups but we need something sturdier.

Can anyone who has installed some give me pointers? I am thinking what I
will need would be a:

level
drill
caulk
stud finder
measuring tape

and that I should look for the kind with long screws that will bite into the
(hopefully) wooden studs that should be mounted on 16" centers. I'd
appreciate any thoughts or input and/or sources for the grab bars. Not sure
if the local Home Depot or Lowe's handles such things. I bought clamp on
tub bars there, but don't recall seeing screw-in bars.

TIA

I saw several heavy-duty grab bars at a salvage place for
cheap--better than the $60 ones at the BORG. Get the 4 or 6 foot ones
(you never know where/how you're gonna fall). Each end of the grab
bar typically has three holes--two of the three must go into a stud.
If need be, cut a hole on the other side of the wall and install a 2x4
against the shower wall--yes, this does add another job of patching
the wall but if you cut the hole along the middle of the stud you can
replace the removed piece fairly easily. The grab bar should be able
to handle a 300-pound force. Use silicone caulk.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nancy Young" wrote in message

"betsyb" wrote

Nancy, try wetting the cups first. Works on hanging stained glass doodas
on my windows. I usually spit on them.

Thanks for the suggestion, betsy, but it's Robert's toothbrushes
giving him a hard time.

nancy

(-: Usenet's always been a little like that kid's game where messages get
whispered up or down a line of people. "The bear went over the mountain"
becomes "bend over mouse man" or something similar.

I'm the one with the grab bar problem and the unstuck suction cups. And
yes, I do wet them, I scrub the tile with alcohol, ammonia, bleach and more
but it doesn't make any difference. I suspect the cups themselves are
slightly porous (they are clear, not black rubber) and over time air gets in
and it pops. Not so bad for toothbrushes but disaster for grab bars!

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Good idea. I found a few on Ebay (almost all were suction cup types) if

can't scrounge one up locally. It's the installation part that's really

got
me worried. I saw them do a set on This Old House a long time ago, at

the
grab bar they used had an umbrella-like toggle bolt that expanded when

Umbrella=like are not toggles. They might be mollies, I forget, but
not toggles, which go up and down like toggle switches.

I know. The umbrellas work by the same principle though: a nut with wings
which close for passage through a small hole and spring open after passing
through the hole to keep the bolt from slipping back through. In this case,
think of the toggle as being rotated 360 degrees so that the force against
the plastic shower wall is distributed over a much larger number of square
inches than the standard toggle bolt.

But you don't want to use them. Especially in the case of a shower or bath
tub where water might get in and ruin the sheetrock which is all that

mollies
and toggles hold to. Find a stud.

These looked to be designed to distribute the force over a large area.
Anything like this needs to be appropriately caulked to prevent water
ingress, I agree. Things could get pretty grim if I drill holes where I
thought there were studs but there weren't or if I don't get a solid bite on
the studs I do find.

I still might be tempted to go with the umbrella bolt (if there is such a
term!) because that depends on NOT finding a stud, and that's always easier
than finding one just because of the probabilities - you're looking for 2"
of matter against 14" of empty space. I believe that makes it one in seven
chances to hit a stud randomly.

Shame on This Old House. I'll bet Bob Villa's mother wasn't going to
live there.

It was the new guys. IIRC, it was this episode:

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/vide...6206,1192720,0
0.html

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/vide...192720,00.html

pushed through the hole and then you screwed it in tight. Darned if I

can
find it on their website, now, though! (-: I am not even sure if this

type
of shower wall can withstand that sort of stress, even with that umbrella

If we're only talking about the acrylic shower wall, it can't take any
stress. It's plastic.

Pretty sure the above technique used the board behind the shower wall for
anchoring.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
Robert Green wrote:
[...]

We're probably going to end up having a contractor do it that's already done
several others in my mother's condo. But it's nice to know what to look
for. Thanks!

--
Bobby G.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks. Sometime's I can never find what I am looking for at the BigBox
stores until I go again, looking for something else!

--
Bobby G.

"Andrew Duane" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I'm really hoping to avoid having to bust up the walls. Caulk's a must for
this kind of work, along with SS screws that won't leave rust trails.
Thanks!

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

stud finder

Locate the wall studs by checking above the enclosure.

Good idea. I probably would have (foolishly) tried to find the studs right
at grab bar level. Your way makes more sense.

Use a level or plumb bob to get yourself close for the handle..and find

the
studs. I would follow the stainless steel screw comment.

Yes. I intend to look for SS screws and some good silicone caulk to make
sure water doesn't get in through the bolt holes.

BTW, you may have a specific local code too abide by.

Very good point. Another reason to have a local contractor perform the
work.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 16:43:25 -0400, mm
wrote:

NOt just hopefullly. Essentially. Nothing else is safe. My mother
wanted hers vertical, but if your bar is the wrong length to get studs
at both ends, then don't mount the bar level. You have to have studs
at both ends.

Remember, there are plenty of kids at summer camp, even if you zap one
of them, but you only get one mother.

(or these days, up to 5.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert Green" wrote in message
I've got to install some grab bars in the shower for mom. I've seen the
kind that mount with suction cups but we need something sturdier.

Most bigbox grab bars are not on sixteen inch centers. And yes, you
need to screw the bar to solid wood like studs. I had a similar need
a couple of years ago and found this Really Good solution. Available
in sixteen and thirty two inch versions. Even if you let a contractor
install it, I definitely recommend the 'extendahand' bar. Many bars
are too close to the wall for good leverage. This solves that by
folding up and away from the wall.

http://www.extendahand.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert Green" wrote in message

I still might be tempted to go with the umbrella bolt (if there is such a
term!) because that depends on NOT finding a stud, and that's always
easier
than finding one just because of the probabilities - you're looking for 2"
of matter against 14" of empty space. I believe that makes it one in
seven
chances to hit a stud randomly.

Do it right. Please, try to get at least one end is properly anchored in
wood.

Here are some other types of bars to consider
http://www.barrierfree.org/categorie...cat=showerbars
http://www.diadot.com/catalog/index....0472bcac6daa00

If you can't find a stud, don't use some cheap Home Depot anchor, use
something made for the purpose
http://www.ocelco.com/products/bathr...697_p3277.html

http://www.ocelco.com/products/bathr...697_p9112.html

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 21:58:13 -0400, "Robert Green"
wrote:

I still might be tempted to go with the umbrella bolt (if there is such a
term!) because that depends on NOT finding a stud, and that's always easier
than finding one just because of the probabilities - you're looking for 2"
of matter against 14" of empty space. I believe that makes it one in seven
chances to hit a stud randomly.

Stop relying on chance and don't be tempted. Do it right.

We've all warned you, but you can't give up on your original plan
because you thought of it and so you're in love with it. It's all
about you, not your mother.

Save your umbrella bolts for hanging a painting or a shelf some day.
(Although even a shelf I would put into the studs.)

Not only don't bars have to be horizontal or level, most of the ones
I've seen aren't.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"lee houston" wrote in message
. net...

"Robert Green" wrote in message
I've got to install some grab bars in the shower for mom. I've seen the
kind that mount with suction cups but we need something sturdier.

Most bigbox grab bars are not on sixteen inch centers. And yes, you
need to screw the bar to solid wood like studs. I had a similar need
a couple of years ago and found this Really Good solution. Available
in sixteen and thirty two inch versions. Even if you let a contractor
install it, I definitely recommend the 'extendahand' bar. Many bars
are too close to the wall for good leverage. This solves that by
folding up and away from the wall.

http://www.extendahand.com/

Good find - thanks!

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 22:10:35 -0400, "Robert Green"
wrote:

Locate the wall studs by checking above the enclosure.

Good idea. I probably would have (foolishly) tried to find the studs right
at grab bar level. Your way makes more sense.

I wouoldn't have called it foolish. I think you'll get the same
reading, and in your shoes even if checked above, I'd check at grab
bar level also just to see if the plastic shower wall interferes or
not. To know for future situations.

Use a level or plumb bob to get yourself close for the handle..and find

the
studs. I would follow the stainless steel screw comment.

Yes. I intend to look for SS screws and some good silicone caulk to make
sure water doesn't get in through the bolt holes.

Admittedly the one bar I have direct experience with was outside the
tub and probably never got wet, but I think at least with the more
expensive bars the included screws are plated well enough. I used the
included screws and I think their plating matched the bar. I know
they were long, and I drilled my hole one size too small, and it was a
bear when I had to remove them when my mother moved.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 22:10:35 -0400, "Robert Green"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

stud finder

Locate the wall studs by checking above the enclosure.

Good idea. I probably would have (foolishly) tried to find the studs right
at grab bar level. Your way makes more sense.

Using a 6d finish nail, drive into the center of the stud above. A
string attached to the nail and weight anchored with a nut/nail will
get you close on the vertical.

In '95 I bought a house from a builder. I slipped in one day to see
the progress. I must have counted 15 16d nails sticking through the
shower enclosure. I lived there 10 years and could never see the
fixes. I was impressed. My panic was no worry for the builder.:-)

Use a level or plumb bob to get yourself close for the handle..and find
the studs. I would follow the stainless steel screw comment.

Yes. I intend to look for SS screws and some good silicone caulk to make
sure water doesn't get in through the bolt holes.

BTW, you may have a specific local code too abide by.

Very good point. Another reason to have a local contractor perform the
work.

Mom deserves the BEST!!

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Locate the wall studs by checking above the enclosure.

Good idea. I probably would have (foolishly) tried to find the studs right
at grab bar level. Your way makes more sense.

I wouoldn't have called it foolish. I think you'll get the same
reading, and in your shoes even if checked above, I'd check at grab
bar level also just to see if the plastic shower wall interferes or
not. To know for future situations.

Not foolish; but not a thought out DIY job, so he asked....

Sure, studs needs to be checked at handle level. The plumb bob I
mentioned is to approximate the stud location behind the enclosure.
Sure to get him close.

For the OP.. do not tighten screws so far as to pull the wall of the
enclosure and create spider cracks out and away from the screws.

The idea of material from the backside of the wall is also good
advice! Solid...
--
Oren