Posted to alt.home.repair
_ _ is offline

Default Need cement for fastening screw into concerte

Hi
I need to attach a metal bracket to a concrete wall, Ive drilled holes
for the screws, but I dont want to depend on screw tread alone, I'd
like to fill the hole with some type of cement then put the screw in.
Don't know what type is best. Any suggestions?? Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair
Lou Lou is offline

On May 18, 6:13 pm, _ wrote:
Hi
I need to attach a metal bracket to a concrete wall, Ive drilled holes
for the screws, but I dont want to depend on screw tread alone, I'd
like to fill the hole with some type of cement then put the screw in.
Don't know what type is best. Any suggestions?? Thanks

Although I don't know why you don't trust a good concrete screw,
my advice would be and epoxy resin, not concrete.
Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/18/2008 5:29 PM Lou spake thus:

On May 18, 6:13 pm, _ wrote:

I need to attach a metal bracket to a concrete wall, Ive drilled holes
for the screws, but I dont want to depend on screw tread alone, I'd
like to fill the hole with some type of cement then put the screw in.
Don't know what type is best. Any suggestions?? Thanks

Although I don't know why you don't trust a good concrete screw,
my advice would be and epoxy resin, not concrete.

Yes; after all, that's how structural anchor bolts are secured to
concrete footings and such.

Wouldn't a good Hilti anchor or equivalent work just fine without any
goop at all?

conversation with the average voter.

- Attributed to Winston Churchill
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 18, 7:13*pm, _ wrote:
Hi
I need to attach a metal bracket to a concrete wall, Ive drilled holes
for the screws, but I dont want to depend on screw tread alone, I'd
like to fill the hole with some type of cement then put the screw in.
Don't know what type is best. *Any suggestions?? Thanks

I'm assuming you didn't look at Tap-Con or Pro-Con screws.

The instructions for these screws tell you the correct sized masonry
bit to use based on the size of the screw you choose. No "cement" or
adhesive needed.

If you've already drilled a hole based on you're own judgement, then
I'd suggest a good quality 2 part epoxy (not 5-minute epoxy) with the
proper filler added to thicken it up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

_ wrote:
Hi
I need to attach a metal bracket to a concrete wall, Ive drilled holes
for the screws, but I dont want to depend on screw tread alone, I'd
like to fill the hole with some type of cement then put the screw in.
Don't know what type is best. Any suggestions?? Thanks

Hi,
Anchor bolt no good there?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Lou Lou is offline

On May 19, 5:07 am, wrote:
On Sun, 18 May 2008 17:29:00 -0700 (PDT), Lou
wrote:

On May 18, 6:13 pm, _ wrote:
Hi
I need to attach a metal bracket to a concrete wall, Ive drilled holes
for the screws, but I dont want to depend on screw tread alone, I'd
like to fill the hole with some type of cement then put the screw in.
Don't know what type is best. Any suggestions?? Thanks

Although I don't know why you don't trust a good concrete screw,
my advice would be and epoxy resin, not concrete.
Lou

My elderly mother needed a metal railing on her concrete porch and
steps. She uses a walker and really hangs on the railing. I
installed it with the anchors that were provided with the kit. I used
the recommended drill size, and followed all instructions.

A few days later I am visiting her and notice she is leaning on this
railing and the bolts are lifting out of the concrete. That's when I
got some JB Weld and glued them into their holes. That was several
years ago, and the railing is solid as can be.

Maybe the 50+ year old concrete she has is just too porous, or
something like that. Either way, it would not have held very long
without the JB Weld.

What kind of anchors came with the railing?
Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 18, 6:13 pm, _ wrote:

I need to attach a metal bracket to a concrete wall, Ive drilled holes
for the screws, but I dont want to depend on screw tread alone, I'd
like to fill the hole with some type of cement then put the screw in.
Don't know what type is best. Any suggestions?? Thanks

Although I don't know why you don't trust a good concrete screw,
my advice would be and epoxy resin, not concrete.

Yes; after all, that's how structural anchor bolts are secured to

concrete footings and such.

Just make sure you use the correct epoxy...

http://tinyurl.com/4ybkkg

Jeff (Ducking...)

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/19/2008 1:03 PM spake thus:

On Mon, 19 May 2008 04:09:37 -0700 (PDT), Lou
wrote:

What kind of anchors came with the railing?

They are called "machine screw anchors".

I DID tighten then very tight. In fact I found a few of them were
spinning in the concrete when I was tightening them, so I did not put
much faith in them right away.

I just did a web search to find a photo of these things. Here they
are.
http://www.concretefasteners.com/anc...rew/index.aspx

That page tells me that a "setting-tool [is] required to set anchor".
Did you use one?

conversation with the average voter.

- Attributed to Winston Churchill
Posted to alt.home.repair

"_" wrote in message
Hi
I need to attach a metal bracket to a concrete wall, Ive drilled holes
for the screws, but I dont want to depend on screw tread alone, I'd
like to fill the hole with some type of cement then put the screw in.
Don't know what type is best. Any suggestions?? Thanks

Get some of those anchors that you beat into the concrete with a hammer. I
don't know what they're called, but they have a lead body split in half, and
a nail sticking out of the top. You slide it into the hole and beat the nail
down. This spreads the lead body and anchors it firmly into the concrete.

Like the others though, I see no reason to not trust TapCons or similar
concrete screws.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Get some of those anchors that you beat into the concrete with a
hammer. I don't know what they're called,

Rawl calls them Zamac Nail-Ins. Their holding strength is incredible
when they're used correctly, but the OP says he already has the holes
drilled.

For that, you can go with a lag shield.

but they have a lead body
split in half, and a nail sticking out of the top. You slide it into the
hole and beat the nail down. This spreads the lead body and anchors it
firmly into the concrete.

Like the others though, I see no reason to not trust TapCons or similar
concrete screws.

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl posted for all of us...

wrote:

What kind of anchors came with the railing?

They are called "machine screw anchors".

I DID tighten then very tight. In fact I found a few of them were
spinning in the concrete when I was tightening them, so I did not put
much faith in them right away.

I just did a web search to find a photo of these things. Here they
are.
http://www.concretefasteners.com/anc...rew/index.aspx

That page tells me that a "setting-tool [is] required to set anchor".
Did you use one?

AND he probably wobbled the drill so the holes are oversized...
--
Tekkie GRIP = Get Rid of Incumbent Politicians
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Lou" wrote in message
On May 18, 6:13 pm, _ wrote:
Hi
I need to attach a metal bracket to a concrete wall, Ive drilled holes
for the screws, but I dont want to depend on screw tread alone,

Since you have drilled the holes already..look up TAPCON screws or Red Head
Wedge Anchors. Used both..neither will budge
If you INSIST on glue, use concrete epoxy

IPE Deck fastening Rick C Woodworking 12 July 9th 12 04:03 AM
Genie Garage Door Opener screw drive - Screw coming apart timwilson Home Repair 3 June 24th 07 03:53 AM
Cement Backer Board on Cement Subfloor? [email protected] Home Repair 4 December 6th 05 01:38 AM
Fastening plastic end cap [email protected] UK diy 5 February 21st 05 11:54 PM
Fastening a table top John Siegel Woodworking 6 May 28th 04 05:18 PM