Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pls help re paint

Pls help re paint

We live in the SF Bay Area, California. We are thinking of painting
the exterior of our home.The exterior is stucco. We are using Kelly
Moore paint..

We have already painted the trim / siding in "low sheen" swiss coffee
white.

What should the exterior paint on the stucco be
flat or "low sheen" paint ?

Are there any advantages to "flat: or "low sheen" paint?

Also since we have already already painted the trim / siding in "low
sheen", what is the best for the stucco as the combination with the
trim ?

We are thinking of Navajo white for the stucco.

Pls let me know.

Thanks,
Linda
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 6, 9:28*pm, wrote:
Pls help re paint

We live in the SF Bay Area, California. *We are thinking of painting
the exterior of our home.The exterior is stucco. We are using Kelly
Moore paint..

We have already painted the trim / siding in "low sheen" swiss coffee
white.

What should the exterior paint on the stucco be
flat or "low sheen" paint ?

Are there any advantages to "flat: or "low sheen" *paint?

Also since we have already already painted the trim / siding in "low
sheen", what is the best for the stucco as the combination with the
trim ?

We are thinking of Navajo white for the stucco.

Pls let me know.

Thanks,
Linda

I live in SF as well. Given the mositure we get, higher the sheen the
better. it repels moisture and dirt.
You'll be painting again in 2yr due to dirt and mostiure issues.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On May 6, 9:28 pm, wrote:
[...]

Typically one would use Flat for the main house color and one step more
glossy for the trim, maybe two steps glossier for the front door. A shiny
house looks funny. Any good qulaity paint will protect the house regardless
of sheen. As usual, the key to a good looking and long lasting paint job is
PREP PREP PREP. Power Wash, Wire brush, scrape and sand as required any
damaged paint before painting over it. It might even pay off to put up a
primer coat, it should extend the life of the color coat.

I live in Milpitas and the white flat paint on my stucco house is at least 6
years old (I owned for 5 years and the paint was not new when I bought it)
and the paint on the stucco is still in excellent shape with no peeling
anywhere. I have had to touch up a few areas of trim where localized
patches have peeled and at the bottom of the garage door trim of course.
You should not be repainting in 2 years if it is done right. Kelly Moore is
as good as any other brand IMO.

We get a lot of fog and dust but not the kind of soaking driving rains and
hail that can really trash a paint job. You may need a power wash in 2-3
years but shouldn't need more than touch up paint spot by then. Paint
should last 10 years or its not worth the effort.