Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Insinkerator not digesting its load

I have a Insinkerator, model Badger 5, 1/2 HP, that is not very
consistent at grinding a load. The motor runs quietly and the blades
on the on the rotating plate seem to swivel freely yet it doesn't
complete the job. The unit is about 6 years old and the cutting
surface on the outside perimeter does look a little worn and is rusty
but I wouldn't expect that to affect the operation. I'm looking at
this for an older couple so I have no day-to-day experience with the
unit but i did not do much with a handful of carrots we tried to feed
it. And the homemaker says it just doesn't work well.

Any advice? I hate to replace it for them without seeing something
really out of whack with it.

John Keith

Posted to alt.home.repair

"John Keith" wrote in message
I have a Insinkerator, model Badger 5, 1/2 HP, that is not very
consistent at grinding a load. The motor runs quietly and the blades
on the on the rotating plate seem to swivel freely yet it doesn't
complete the job. The unit is about 6 years old and the cutting
surface on the outside perimeter does look a little worn and is rusty
but I wouldn't expect that to affect the operation. I'm looking at
this for an older couple so I have no day-to-day experience with the
unit but i did not do much with a handful of carrots we tried to feed
it. And the homemaker says it just doesn't work well.

Any advice? I hate to replace it for them without seeing something
really out of whack with it.

John Keith

Ask them what sorts of stuff they're trying to dispose of. Get a list of
5-10 things. There *are* foods that no disposal will deal with. Let us know
what you find out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DanG" wrote in news:NrsTj.69777$y05.18593
@newsfe22.lga:

Wive's tale or not, the old adage is ice cubes, fruit pits, and
steak bones will sharpen a disposer. It won't cost much to try,
it won't harm anything, and worst case, will require replacement.

I've used ice cubes for years in many disposers. I personally don't believe
it sharpens. I just believe it clears the accumulated small bits and pieces
that won't go down and are stuck in a place where the disposer grinding
can't get at it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"John Keith" wrote in message
The unit is about 6 years old and the cutting
surface on the outside perimeter does look a little worn and is rusty
but I wouldn't expect that to affect the operation.

Thanks for the laugh.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 05 May 2008 00:21:15 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

Ask them what sorts of stuff they're trying to dispose of. Get a list of
5-10 things. There *are* foods that no disposal will deal with. Let us know
what you find out.

The list was typical table scraps and running water was always used
(which was the only tip I got from Insinerators web page regarding
possible problems.)

The home owners are willing to spring for a new unit so that's what
we're going to do for them.

John Keith

Insinkerator vs. Sears mm Home Repair 3 August 22nd 06 09:25 PM
Insinkerator 444-3 disposer stopped trader-of-some-jacks Home Repair 2 January 4th 06 08:22 AM
Insinkerator 333 pet Home Repair 5 October 22nd 04 08:47 PM