Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.peeves,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,alt.bitterness

Default Clueless People Should Be Exempt From Junk Merchandise

We have a hard enough time figuring out things that DO work properly.

So I set-up the Lite-On DVD recorder/VHS combo. Turn on the power and
it tells me to "load disc." HUH? Load disc before setup?? Load a
disc before the time, date, video output, channel scan, etc., have
been programmed in?? If I ignore the message, nothing happens, except
for another error message "no disc." . So I load a disc and the thing
starts recording. DOUBLE HUH????
Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.peeves,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,alt.bitterness

In article , Windswept@Home
wrote:

We have a hard enough time figuring out things that DO work properly.

So I set-up the Lite-On DVD recorder/VHS combo. Turn on the power and
it tells me to "load disc." HUH? Load disc before setup?? Load a
disc before the time, date, video output, channel scan, etc., have
been programmed in?? If I ignore the message, nothing happens, except
for another error message "no disc." . So I load a disc and the thing
starts recording. DOUBLE HUH????

My folks have one of those. What a piece of junk!

--
It is simply breathtaking to watch the glee and abandon with which
the liberal media and the Angry Left have been attempting to turn

Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.peeves,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,alt.politics

On May 3, 7:03 pm, (Ubiquitous) wrote:
In article , Windswept@Home
wrote:

We have a hard enough time figuring out things that DO work properly.

So I set-up the Lite-On DVD recorder/VHS combo. Turn on the power and
it tells me to "load disc." HUH? Load disc before setup?? Load a
disc before the time, date, video output, channel scan, etc., have
been programmed in?? If I ignore the message, nothing happens, except
for another error message "no disc." . So I load a disc and the thing
starts recording. DOUBLE HUH????

My folks have one of those. What a piece of junk!

Not to mention that you may find that the deck won't even allow you
to record a tape to the disc (or visa versa) because of some stupid
copy protection scheme (eg Macrovision). I'm not just talking about a
screwed up picture, but flat out refusing and throwing up a message
saying you can't do it. At least with a separate DVD and VCR deck
you can intercept and remove the signal (which is probably illegal in
Amerika) I am not advocating piracy here, but it would be great to be
able to transfer a movie *THAT YOU PAID FOR* from VHS to DVD, esp.
when the movie is obscure and the chances of it being released to DVD
is almost nil.
Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.peeves,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,alt.politics

On May 3, 11:04 am, Windswept@Home (J) wrote:
We have a hard enough time figuring out things that DO work properly.

So I set-up the Lite-On DVD recorder/VHS combo. Turn on the power and
it tells me to "load disc." HUH? Load disc before setup?? Load a
disc before the time, date, video output, channel scan, etc., have
been programmed in?? If I ignore the message, nothing happens, except
for another error message "no disc." . So I load a disc and the thing
starts recording. DOUBLE HUH????

Not to mention that you may find that the deck won't even allow you
to record a tape to the disc (or visa versa) because of some stupid
copy protection scheme (eg Macrovision). I'm not just talking about a
screwed up picture, but flat out refusing and throwing up a message
saying you can't do it. At least with a separate DVD and VCR deck
you can intercept and remove the Macrovision signal (which is probably
illegal in
Amerika) I am not advocating piracy here, but it would be great to be
able to transfer a movie *THAT YOU PAID FOR* from VHS to DVD, esp.
when the movie is obscure and the chances of it being released to DVD
is almost nil.
Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.peeves,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers

wrote:

So I set-up the Lite-On DVD recorder/VHS combo. Turn on the power and
it tells me to "load disc." HUH? Load disc before setup?? Load a
disc before the time, date, video output, channel scan, etc., have
been programmed in?? If I ignore the message, nothing happens, except
for another error message "no disc." . So I load a disc and the thing
starts recording. DOUBLE HUH????

My folks have one of those. What a piece of junk!

Not to mention that you may find that the deck won't even allow you
to record a tape to the disc (or visa versa) because of some stupid
copy protection scheme (eg Macrovision). I'm not just talking about a
screwed up picture, but flat out refusing and throwing up a message
saying you can't do it.

I can't say we've had any experience doing that. We've used it
mainly to copy shows we saved on tape to DVD.

The interface is clumsy and it seems to take several seconds for the
machine to react to the button you pushed on the remote, inevitably
leading to us pushing it again, thinking that the signal somehow
wasn't received by the recorder.