Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How Do I Rehang Patio Screen on Its Track?

I had to replace the wheels on the bottom of the screen door
associated with my patio door. But, I can't figure out how to rehang
the screen door. The upper rollers ride in a channel/track the
opening to which is smaller then the rollers.

Here are pictures:

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/7...1030200re9.jpg
http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/3...1030203bw3.jpg
http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/9...1030197gz6.jpg

This is a sketch of the cross section of the channel/track:
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/5738/graphic1xh1.gif
Posted to alt.home.repair

jim evans wrote:
I had to replace the wheels on the bottom of the screen door
associated with my patio door. But, I can't figure out how to rehang
the screen door. The upper rollers ride in a channel/track the
opening to which is smaller then the rollers.

Here are pictures:

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/7...1030200re9.jpg
http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/3...1030203bw3.jpg
http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/9...1030197gz6.jpg

This is a sketch of the cross section of the channel/track:
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/5738/graphic1xh1.gif

Turn the screen around and hook the rollers in the track?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 02 May 2008 21:09:44 -0500, jim evans
wrote:

I had to replace the wheels on the bottom of the screen door
associated with my patio door. But, I can't figure out how to rehang
the screen door. The upper rollers ride in a channel/track the
opening to which is smaller then the rollers.

Here are pictures:

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/7...1030200re9.jpg
http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/3...1030203bw3.jpg
http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/9...1030197gz6.jpg

This is a sketch of the cross section of the channel/track:
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/5738/graphic1xh1.gif

Tilt the bottom of the screen door towards you. Insert the rollers
into the channel at the top and then lower the bottom of the door
towards the channel. Once in place lift up and seat the bottom of the
screen in the channel.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 2 May 2008 21:16:37 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

jim evans wrote:
I had to replace the wheels on the bottom of the screen door
associated with my patio door. But, I can't figure out how to rehang
the screen door. The upper rollers ride in a channel/track the
opening to which is smaller then the rollers.

Here are pictures:

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/7...1030200re9.jpg
http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/3...1030203bw3.jpg
http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/9...1030197gz6.jpg

This is a sketch of the cross section of the channel/track:
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/5738/graphic1xh1.gif

Turn the screen around and hook the rollers in the track?

Good one. The photo did seem as thought the screen was "bakards" g

Posted to alt.home.repair

Turn the screen around and hook the rollers in the track?

Good one. The photo did seem as thought the screen was "bakards" g

That was to show the rollers. If I had it turned around you would not
have been able to see the rollers and could have said "what rollers?"
I don't see no rollers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I had to replace the wheels on the bottom of the screen door
associated with my patio door. But, I can't figure out how to rehang
the screen door. The upper rollers ride in a channel/track the
opening to which is smaller then the rollers.

Here are pictures:

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/7...1030200re9.jpg
http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/3...1030203bw3.jpg
http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/9...1030197gz6.jpg

This is a sketch of the cross section of the channel/track:
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/5738/graphic1xh1.gif

Tilt the bottom of the screen door towards you. Insert the rollers
into the channel at the top and then lower the bottom of the door
towards the channel. Once in place lift up and seat the bottom of the
screen in the channel.

Here's why that won't work.

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/9...rrollerlr3.gif

I think somebody should answer who's had personal experience with this
problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Turn the screen around and hook the rollers in the track?

Is it your job to hang around and make smart alec remarks to people
who need help?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Turn the screen around and hook the rollers in the track?

Is it your job to hang around and make smart alec remarks to people
who need help?

If you think that was smart Alec; perhaps you are in the wrong group.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

How can someone demonstrate personal experience; after all you left
out a *'gif and posted it after the fact. Never mind!

Nobody asked what you thought, but you wanted too know what people
here thought.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 02 May 2008 22:10:17 -0500, jim evans
wrote:

Turn the screen around and hook the rollers in the track?

Good one. The photo did seem as thought the screen was "bakards" g

That was to show the rollers. If I had it turned around you would not
have been able to see the rollers and could have said "what rollers?"
I don't see no rollers.

I knew the rollers were there, because you mentioned them. Most folks
with these type doors: as far as I know, are familiar with them. I bet
many folks in this group have them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Turn the screen around and hook the rollers in the track?

Is it your job to hang around and make smart alec remarks to people
who need help?

If you think that was smart Alec; perhaps you are in the wrong group.

If you didn't think his comment was poking fun why did you say "good
one" and post a grin?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Turn the screen around and hook the rollers in the track?

Is it your job to hang around and make smart alec remarks to people
who need help?

If you think that was smart Alec; perhaps you are in the wrong group.

If you didn't think his comment was poking fun why did you say "good
one" and post a grin?

Good one: means " nice observation", Imo. Something I saw and thought,
but did not mention. The other poster saw the same thing and mentioned
it.

Toughen the skin in this group or leave. Am I wrong?

Heybub asked you a question.

Posted to alt.home.repair

jim evans wrote:

I had to replace the wheels on the bottom of the screen door
associated with my patio door. But, I can't figure out how to rehang
the screen door. The upper rollers ride in a channel/track the
opening to which is smaller then the rollers.

Here are pictures:

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/7...1030200re9.jpg
http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/3...1030203bw3.jpg
http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/9...1030197gz6.jpg

This is a sketch of the cross section of the channel/track:
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/5738/graphic1xh1.gif

How did you take it out? Looks like you would need to swing the bottom
of the door
away, point the rollers into the track at an angle?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03 May 2008 05:33:30 GMT, TD wrote:

Danged things never go back where they're supposed to.

Is that your final answer?! You could call a friend.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 03 May 2008 00:38:18 -0400, Norminn
wrote:

jim evans wrote:

I had to replace the wheels on the bottom of the screen door
associated with my patio door. But, I can't figure out how to rehang
the screen door. The upper rollers ride in a channel/track the
opening to which is smaller then the rollers.

Here are pictures:

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/7...1030200re9.jpg
http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/3...1030203bw3.jpg
http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/9...1030197gz6.jpg

This is a sketch of the cross section of the channel/track:
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/5738/graphic1xh1.gif

How did you take it out?

I took it out by unscrewing the rollers from the screen frame. That's
easy taking it off, they just fall into the track, but getting behind
it to hold the rollers in place to reattach them is another thing
altogether.

Looks like you would need to swing the bottom
of the door away, point the rollers into the track
at an angle?

I keep improving the sketch. Here's the latest:
http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/3...ercomboki3.gif

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim,

Never seen this before but I'd unscrew the top rollers, put one in the
channel with a piece of cloth behind it to hold the roller wheel upright,
mount the door on the bottom wheels and tracks, swing the door top up to the
top track, line up the screw hole with the roller wheel, start the screw,
tighten, and pull out the cloth. Then do the other roller wheel

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Turn the screen around and hook the rollers in the track?

Is it your job to hang around and make smart alec remarks to people
who need help?

My apologies. You didn't say you had flipped the screen for illustrative
purposes.

Actually, I thought you were drunk, maybe even insane, but I was trying to
be polite.

People sometimes post questions here where the solution is obvious to
everyone in the world but them.

For example: how would you answer the lament: "No matter how much I cut off
this board, it's STILL too short!"

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I remember a poster here, just recently, who managed to remove an identical
screen. I don't think he's put it back yet, but maybe he could remember how
he took it off.

I'll check the archives.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim after looking at your pictures it appears that you have a design where
the screen frame is set into a piece of channel that holds the rollers.

Look at the end view of the door to confirm this, If this is the case see if
you can separate the channel from the screen frame, and coax the channel
into position and then set the screen frame into the channel.

On all the patio doors I have worked on, the screen has spring loaded
rollers on the bottom and spring loaded glides on the top. To install, you
slip the top into the track and push all the way up, then push up the
rollers on the bottom to pop them over the track.

Hope this helps.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

"jim evans" wrote in message
I had to replace the wheels on the bottom of the screen door
associated with my patio door. But, I can't figure out how to rehang
the screen door. The upper rollers ride in a channel/track the
opening to which is smaller then the rollers.

Here are pictures:

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/7...1030200re9.jpg
http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/3...1030203bw3.jpg
http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/9...1030197gz6.jpg

This is a sketch of the cross section of the channel/track:
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/5738/graphic1xh1.gif

Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped

I keep improving the sketch. Here's the latest:
http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/3...ercomboki3.gif

Very good diagrams. I'm sure there is something I am missing,
but.....can you not prop something
behind the wheel to hold it whilst you screw the door to it? Even a
strip of cloth around the back of
the wheel, insert wheel into track, have someone hold the ends of the
cloth to start the screw, pull
the cloth out when the door is in place.

I don't usually have problems putting stuff together after I have taken
it apart, unless I drop a part
whilst looking for a tool. My worst habit is putting important parts in
a very safe place until I can
make repairs, then forgetting which safe place I put it in )

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 03 May 2008 18:07:44 -0400, Norminn
wrote:

clipped

I keep improving the sketch. Here's the latest:
http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/3...ercomboki3.gif

Very good diagrams. I'm sure there is something I am missing,
but.....can you not prop something
behind the wheel to hold it whilst you screw the door to it? Even a
strip of cloth around the back of
the wheel, insert wheel into track, have someone hold the ends of the
cloth to start the screw, pull
the cloth out when the door is in place.

I am considering trying to attach the rollers to a ribbon, spaced at
the correct distance apart. Then putting them in the track, put the
door in place and pull the ribbon to hold the rollers against the door
and move it until the holes line up. But, I've not come up with a way
to attache them to the ribbon securely enough while releasing the
ribbon after the rollers are attached. Another issue, however the
rollers are attached to the ribbon they must not leave adhesive that
will impede the rollers rotating freely on the hub.

I don't think putting a cloth "pad" behind the rollers to hold them in
place will work. The rollers must be held flat against the frame to
start the screws, particularly blind like this, and when I try to do
that the roller tip forward and fall out of the track.

I'm now considering this approach
http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/9...tippinguo6.gif
but have not yet been to the store to get longer screws and don't know
whether a screw long enough to facilitate this will, when tightened,
strike the back of the channel/track.
Posted to alt.home.repair

What I was suggesting was not to fasten anything to the roller, but just
to use the strip of cloth around
the back of the roller like a sling - keep tension on the strip of cloth
to hold it toward the front of the
track until you get the screws started, then just remove the strip when
the screws are in. Capiche?
Posted to alt.home.repair

To anyone who may have been following this and is interested in the
solution -- this method worked:

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/9...tippinguo6.gif

I had to get longer screws, and I had a little trouble getting the
screws to draw-up into the rotating hub, but it worked. The door is
back in place.