Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Peel and stick tile directly over hardwood

we have dogs which makes refinishing our hardwood floors very
difficult.

my wife kinda likes vinyl tile.

i dont want to ruin the hardwood by putting underlayment over it like
luan plywood.

has anyone put the peel and stick directly over the hardwood?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
we have dogs which makes refinishing our hardwood floors very
difficult.

my wife kinda likes vinyl tile.

i dont want to ruin the hardwood by putting underlayment over it like
luan plywood.

has anyone put the peel and stick directly over the hardwood?

You're right that an underlayment would require nails which would probably
ruin the floor. In principal, you can usually get most of a peel and stick
tile up with a heat gun and a spatula. After that the floor would need more
sanding to refinish than otherwise to get up any adhesive or stuck hard
tiles.

Remove the tiles with something harsh like a 6 foot scraper bar and the
gouges you leave might ruin the floor at that time. Vinyl tiles will ruin
the surface finish but the wood underneith should be fine as long as removal
isn't too rough.

The obvious other choice is either area or wall to wall carpets. That tends
to preserve the floor as long as the installer dosen't go crazy stapling the
pad down. Small holes in a wood floor usually fill in somewhat when
refinished. I hardly notice the old staple holes or the tack strip damage
along the edge, mostly covered by baseboards.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
we have dogs which makes refinishing our hardwood floors very
difficult.

my wife kinda likes vinyl tile.

i dont want to ruin the hardwood by putting underlayment over it like
luan plywood.

has anyone put the peel and stick directly over the hardwood?

The previous owner of a house we bought had done that exact thing. It held
up fairly well over the few years we left it in place (the boards were nice
and tight). Sanding for a refinish was not a problem when we removed the
tile.

IMO, you will do a lot less damage to the HW this way and later you or the
new owner can enjoy them again.

Wet mop the floor with an ammonia cleaner (like Parsons), rinse and allow it
get very dry before you install your tile.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 30, 3:59*pm, " wrote:
we have dogs which makes refinishing our hardwood floors very
difficult.

my wife kinda likes vinyl tile.

i dont want to ruin the hardwood by putting underlayment over it like
luan plywood.

has anyone put the peel and stick directly over the hardwood?

You can refinish it if you cover areas dogs go with butcher paper,
heavy paper on a roll for a few days- to a week, but it depends on
their nails and habits, it worked for me, Ive seen dogs trash cheap
peal and stick in a year. It depends on the dogs.

Ceramic Tile Over Peel and Stick Vinyl [email protected] Home Repair 19 January 22nd 21 09:27 AM
peel and stick tiles SteveB[_2_] Home Repair 8 January 2nd 08 03:55 AM
Cheap peel-n-stick floor tile doesn't stick Mike Home Repair 13 June 5th 07 05:31 AM
peel and stick tile jtpr Home Repair 8 August 5th 06 03:11 PM
Peel and Stick Tile Rufus V. Smith Home Repair 6 September 5th 03 01:45 PM