Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Question- Wood bees and firewood

Ok, how do others handle this?

I have about 1 cord in my backyard. It's the season to have a bee problem
and they like that area. Since I fully plan to burn this wood in the
fireplace next winter, I cant just spray it with pesticides. I do not have
a shed.

I was thinking to spray a plastic tarp, then put this over the wood.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"cshenk" wrote in message
Ok, how do others handle this?

I have about 1 cord in my backyard. It's the season to have a bee problem
and they like that area. Since I fully plan to burn this wood in the
fireplace next winter, I cant just spray it with pesticides. I do not
have a shed.

I was thinking to spray a plastic tarp, then put this over the wood.

Plastic tarp may help, but it may just protects the bee nests inside. You
could fumigate under it though. Any pesticide will have dissipated long
before it is time to burn the wood.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 06:51:27 -0400, "cshenk" wrote:

Ok, how do others handle this?

I have about 1 cord in my backyard. It's the season to have a bee problem
and they like that area. Since I fully plan to burn this wood in the
fireplace next winter, I cant just spray it with pesticides. I do not have
a shed.

I was thinking to spray a plastic tarp, then put this over the wood.

I can't think of any pesticide that would not be completely gone after
10-30 days. A spray bottle of warm soapy water will work with a
direct hit. A handful of mothballs under the tarp will keep them away
for several months.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 06:51:27 -0400, "cshenk" wrote:

Ok, how do others handle this?

I have about 1 cord in my backyard. It's the season to have a bee problem
and they like that area. Since I fully plan to burn this wood in the
fireplace next winter, I cant just spray it with pesticides. I do not have
a shed.

Assuming you mean carpenter bees-
If you're going to burn it next winter then you have begun the
extermination campaign. They will lay eggs in your firewood. You
will burn it before they hatch. There might be some hibernating
parents who will wander out and stagger drunkenly about your house for
a while if you bring the wood in early. Next year you will have
eliminated one generation of bees that use your firewood for
egg-laying.

I was thinking to spray a plastic tarp, then put this over the wood.

Not a good idea. It holds too high a humidity- and will provide cover
for even more vermin.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote

I have about 1 cord in my backyard. It's the season to have a bee problem
and they like that area. Since I fully plan to burn this wood in the
fireplace next winter, I cant just spray it with pesticides. I do not
have
a shed.

Assuming you mean carpenter bees-

Probably. I'm not real savy on such. Fat suckers. Bumblebee looking to
me.

If you're going to burn it next winter then you have begun the
extermination campaign. They will lay eggs in your firewood. You
will burn it before they hatch. There might be some hibernating

True, but the issue is more yard safety when we are out there now.

parents who will wander out and stagger drunkenly about your house for
a while if you bring the wood in early. Next year you will have
eliminated one generation of bees that use your firewood for
egg-laying.

Ugg, thats all I need. Drunk parents in the house g.

I was thinking to spray a plastic tarp, then put this over the wood.

Not a good idea. It holds too high a humidity- and will provide cover
for even more vermin.

Humm. I wasnt thinking a tight cover, more an open ended sort of thing.
Some of the other say I can spray it now and it will all dissapate before
winter burning, but I'm not totally comfortable with that idea.

I'm wondering if there is some more 'natural' solution I could use that will
make them just prefer another spot. Like, if they dont like salt, to salt
the pile (which shouldnt disrupt burning it later as far as I know). Sorta
like I control ants with dry grits on the pile in dry weather, or grass
growth in some areas with vinegar. If they hate marigolds like some 'bugs'
do, I could put lots of that all around but somehow I dont think these
critters care about marigolds...

Posted to alt.home.repair

i have the same problem . i just leave them alone.the big ones
are males and dont sting.i was told the female doesnt come out. i bring
the wood in and burn it ,no problem.i did kill some by spraying some
gasoline in the pile but i left them alone after i found they dont
sting.lucas

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Phisherman" wrote

A handful of mothballs under the tarp will keep them away
for several months.

Now that might be just perfect! I can bag them up in net bags and put them
all around. The tarp is not tightly covering the pile, more there to keep
water away from the top and only covers the upper layer or so.

I really need to make a more proper woodshed, but we've got so many things
we've needed to do here after the place was rented for 6+ years, thats one
we know won't happen soon.

I did have an idea though for a simple one. It's *not* a perfect shed, but
wouldnt be expensive and be better than a stack in the yard.

Wood fencing material (8'lx6't roughly) to make a 3 sided 'box' with 2x4
corners for stability and a sort of roof over it of same. I could then have
some sort of screen like material across the front that was openable (or
removed in winter) yet could be sprayed in this season without worry about
the wood. Just thinking ideas... Oh and this is in a back yard that is
already fully fenced so is not visible from other than inside the back yard.
In fact if I use the corner, I need make only the one extending wall then a
'roof' supported by 2x4 framing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

cshenk wrote:

Ok, how do others handle this?

I have about 1 cord in my backyard. It's the season to have a bee problem
and they like that area. Since I fully plan to burn this wood in the
fireplace next winter, I cant just spray it with pesticides. I do not have
a shed.

I was thinking to spray a plastic tarp, then put this over the wood.

Where I have seen carpenter bees, they weren't numerous. If you can
find their tunnels, just dust the tunnel
at night when they are dormant. Or spray the ones you see. AFAIK, they
are pests.