Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What decade is this piece from?

Hi,

I have purchase an antique piece on ebay and now I have grave doubts
about its being antique. It's a tea kettle and the claim is that it
was made in the 1800's. However, the pieces are being held together by
nuts and bolts. I have (low quality) picture that I took with my
camera phone he

http://freeboundaries.com/bolt.jpg

Now I'm sure that the nut has been replaced, but the "bolt" part is
actually part of the handle - the threads are on the piece itself. And
the threads on the "bolt" part are a modern gauge and thread count.
Now, my question is this: can one tell when the contemporary thread
sizes were finalized? Was it in the 1800's or was it more like in the
1970's. And by looking at the picture that I provided, can one put a
lower bound on the time period in which this piece was made.

Many thanks in advance!

Aaron
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Hi,

I have purchase an antique piece on ebay and now I have grave doubts
about its being antique. It's a tea kettle and the claim is that it
was made in the 1800's. However, the pieces are being held together by
nuts and bolts. I have (low quality) picture that I took with my
camera phone he

http://freeboundaries.com/bolt.jpg

Now I'm sure that the nut has been replaced, but the "bolt" part is
actually part of the handle - the threads are on the piece itself. And
the threads on the "bolt" part are a modern gauge and thread count.
Now, my question is this: can one tell when the contemporary thread
sizes were finalized? Was it in the 1800's or was it more like in the
1970's. And by looking at the picture that I provided, can one put a
lower bound on the time period in which this piece was made.

I had some old copper pots and kettles that I bought in Europe years ago.
They were around 200 hundred years old, but some of the handles looked newer
and there were some rivet repairs. I surmised after asking around that
these things would get repaired after something broke off and the blacksmith
would use the more modern repair method rather then restore the piece to its
original construction and design. You might have the same situation. Maybe
it was repaired or replaced 50 years ago.

Can you post pictures of the entire piece?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:

[...]

There are lots of old pieces which have been repaired with modern
fasteners. A picture of the
entire piece would help. Was silverplate? Any markings?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks,

Here are two more pictures of the whole thing:

http://freeboundaries.com/sv1.jpg
http://freeboundaries.com/sv2.jpg

Please note that all three handles are attached by a "bolt/screw"
mechanism, meaning that the handle has threads and the finial screws
on to them. And all threads look quite contemporary.

Thanks!

Aaron
Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:

Thanks,

Here are two more pictures of the whole thing:

http://freeboundaries.com/sv1.jpg
http://freeboundaries.com/sv2.jpg

Please note that all three handles are attached by a "bolt/screw"
mechanism, meaning that the handle has threads and the finial screws
on to them. And all threads look quite contemporary.

Thanks!

Aaron

I've done lots of antiueing, but don't recall seeing anything like your
pix. When I have
seen ornate copper/brass tableware, it has usually been stripped of
silver. That might be
the reason the handles now screw on. Generally, the style of the black
wood handles might
be from around 1900 or thereabouts. What is the narrow thing on top -
drains into larger
container or ?........ Any markings on bottom?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Thanks,

Here are two more pictures of the whole thing:

http://freeboundaries.com/sv1.jpg
http://freeboundaries.com/sv2.jpg

Please note that all three handles are attached by a "bolt/screw"
mechanism, meaning that the handle has threads and the finial screws
on to them. And all threads look quite contemporary.

It is an interesting piece. I'm thinking that is a combination of old and
new. The base looks as though it was cast and not handmade. Does this heat
water with an oil flame underneath?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:

On Apr 25, 6:34 pm, "John Grabowski" wrote:

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message

Thanks,

Here are two more pictures of the whole thing:

http://freeboundaries.com/sv1.jpg
http://freeboundaries.com/sv2.jpg

Please note that all three handles are attached by a "bolt/screw"
mechanism, meaning that the handle has threads and the finial screws
on to them. And all threads look quite contemporary.

It is an interesting piece. I'm thinking that is a combination of old and
new. The base looks as though it was cast and not handmade. Does this heat
water with an oil flame underneath?

It heats water from the firewoord, cones, or coal that you put in the
middle furnace. So the time of manufacture is inconclusive?

Thanks.

I can't see the decoration very clearly. I am thinking it is some kind
of middle-eastern (Turkish?) coffee making
device.......but it is really a mystery because the style is not like
those I have seen. Parts look kind of American,
but what it is........an espresso maker???? The metal finials on the
top of the large pot.....just decoration? Any
makers marks on the bottom? Would be interesting to take to the
Antiques Road Show )