Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kenmore Bottom Freezer Refrigerator - Is it working correctly?

I just purchased a Kenmore refrigerator - the thing is huge!
Generally, I love it but the compressor runs practically 24/7. The
settings are on default temperature, I rarely open it. Does this
indicate a problem with the compressor? I am guessing yes because how
could something be Energy Star compliant when it runs throughout the
day?

So how do I quantify this for Sears - my retailer - so they will know
that they have to come back and replace it?

Thanks
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair
KD KD is offline

On Apr 17, 9:02*am, wrote:
I just purchased a Kenmore refrigerator - the thing is huge!
Generally, I love it but the compressor runs practically 24/7. *The
settings are on default temperature, I rarely open it. *Does this
indicate a problem with the compressor? *I am guessing yes because how
could something be Energy Star compliant when it runs throughout the
day?

So how do I quantify this for Sears - my retailer - so they will know
that they have to come back and replace it?

Thanks
Bob

I've been wondering about this myself. I just got a new Kenmore with a
bottom freezer, and while it doesn't run 24/7, it does seem to run a
lot more than my old one did (although more quietly). It doesn't give
off the heat the old one did either, the top of the fridge used to be
a handy spot for proofing bread dough!

Is it possible that it IS using less energy due to a less powerful
compressor, even if it is running more?

KD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 17, 7:02*am, wrote:
I just purchased a Kenmore refrigerator - the thing is huge!
Generally, I love it but the compressor runs practically 24/7. *The
settings are on default temperature, I rarely open it. *Does this
indicate a problem with the compressor? *I am guessing yes because how
could something be Energy Star compliant when it runs throughout the
day?

So how do I quantify this for Sears - my retailer - so they will know
that they have to come back and replace it?

Thanks
Bob

The new units run a bit more but not 24x7, I would think, at least my
5yr old kenmore doesnt. If its running continuosly how could it cool
at 90+ interior temps and with heavy use, Tell sears its broke and
have them send out a tech , A 25$ Kill-a-Watt meter will tell you if
electric usage is inline with its stated rating, it matches ratings
for me on many apliances over days.
Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
On Apr 17, 7:02 am, wrote:
[...]

I was told that the new ones run more but use less juice.
How does one find out if that is true?

Lou

Posted to alt.home.repair

Well, I may end up getting one of the Kill-a-Watt meters just to
check. Luckily, it is pretty darned quiet or it would bother me.

Thanks for the tip.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

I just purchased a Kenmore refrigerator - the thing is huge!
Generally, I love it but the compressor runs practically 24/7. The
settings are on default temperature, I rarely open it. Does this
indicate a problem with the compressor? I am guessing yes because how
could something be Energy Star compliant when it runs throughout the
day?

So how do I quantify this for Sears - my retailer - so they will know
that they have to come back and replace it?

Thanks
Bob

The best energy efficiency can be when the compressor does not stop and
start at all, assuming that it is using only just enough energy to do the
job. This seems to be a common concern with high efficiency refrigerators,
along with taking a very long time to establish uniform and proper
temperatures. All this is a trade-off for the energy efficiency, so I would
give it a lot of time to stabilize and not be concerned about the run time.

Don Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Young wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Starting any electric motor is a big energy user.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Starting any electric motor is a big energy user.

Nah!

It takes less than a second to start a motor. Even if it draws 10 times
the "normal" load, it's no different that letting the appliance run an extra
10 second.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Well, I finally got around to getting a Kill-A-Watt meter. My
refrigerator is still running for a large part of the day as far as I
am concerned. However, it must be by design because the energy usage
is right on target with the EnergyStar rating.

Now I can relax knowing my new refrigerator is working properly. That
meter was a good investment and I am sure will come in handy in the
future for other stuff.

Bob