Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ice Maker - Electrical Connections

There are four wires in the harness from my Kenmore/Sears freezer
#56676 to my ice maker: black, white, brown, and green.

I presume that two of these provide power to the motor and heater and
another must energize the solenoiod to fill the ice maker. Can
someone match the color code to the function and tell me the purpose
of the fourth wire?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 13:10:59 -0400, wrote:

On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 10:53:39 -0500, Bob Simon
wrote:

There are four wires in the harness from my Kenmore/Sears freezer
#56676 to my ice maker: black, white, brown, and green.

I presume that two of these provide power to the motor and heater and
another must energize the solenoiod to fill the ice maker. Can
someone match the color code to the function and tell me the purpose
of the fourth wire?

This is probably a whirlpool
The black is hot, controlled by the photocell if the icemaker is on
the door. White is neutral and brown goes back to the valve to turn on
the water.

This guy has the best site I have found for icemakers but finding your
way around it can be tedious

http://fixitnow.com/appliantology/typeoicemaker.htm

I measured 108 VAC between black and white. I was hoping that I would
be able to turn on the fill solenoid by shorting black to brown but
nothing happens, not even a click. Is there something wrong with this
approach?

A water line goes into the back of the refrigerator for the dispenser
in the door. It must also go to the ice filling solenoid. Do you
know where this is located? Do you typically need to remove the back
to get to it?

Can I test the solenoid by stripping a power cord, plugging it in, and
touching the bare ends to the contacts? Or will that blow out the
coil? (I'm pretty confident that I can do this without accidently
shorting out the power cord and tripping a breaker.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

First of all I noticed on my refrigerator that the solenoids don't make much noise, almost none.

If you want to check the solenoid for your ice maker and you have a water dispenser that works on the front of your refrigerator, swap the two electrical connectors on the solenoid. Now you can use the paddle that normally controls the water dispenser to switch the ice maker solenoid. Remove the ice maker end of the water line and put it in a bucket, push the water dispenser paddle, and check to see if water is being dispensed into the bucket.

Don't forget to swap the electrical connectors back and reattach the ice maker water line when you're finished with the test.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ns-298878-.htm