Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cutting Concrete crub to allow yard to drain

My front yard like other is sloped towards the street. The water that flows
through the gradd flows over the in certain areas as deposits a dark slimy
film on the concrete. It is a PITA to presure wash several times a year.
I'd like to make some 1" wide openings in the curb that will allow the water
to flow through directly to the street.

Is there something I can Rent fomr HD or Lowes that would do this job
cleanly. There are other homes in my neighborhood with a similar opening in
the curb (actually 3 - 4" wide) with a PVC drain pipe installed for this
very purpose so I assume its OK of me to do as well.

thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mook Johnson wrote:
My front yard like other is sloped towards the street. The water that flows
through the gradd flows over the in certain areas as deposits a dark slimy
film on the concrete. It is a PITA to presure wash several times a year.
I'd like to make some 1" wide openings in the curb that will allow the water
to flow through directly to the street.

Is there something I can Rent fomr HD or Lowes that would do this job
cleanly. There are other homes in my neighborhood with a similar opening in
the curb (actually 3 - 4" wide) with a PVC drain pipe installed for this
very purpose so I assume its OK of me to do as well.

thanks.

Don't assume. Anywhere I have ever spent time, you have to get a permit
to cut a curb, and a permit to run a drain pipe into the public
right-of-way. The pipes in the neighbor's curbs- you sure they JUST go
through the curb? I usually see those as downspout collectors or sump
pit overflows. I'm getting the impression your yard has grading and
draining issues.

What is making the slime? Is your yard a swamp? Runoff from my yard is
pretty much clear.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mook Johnson wrote:

There are other homes in my neighborhood with a similar
opening in the curb (actually 3 - 4" wide) with a PVC drain pipe
installed for this very purpose so I assume its OK of me to do as
well.

If you check with the city you might find it isn't okay but people are doing
it anyway because of drainage issues and either they haven't been noticed or
no city employee has bothered to report it. Even if it's legal you probably
need a permit to go under a city sidewalk or through a curb.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06 Apr 2008 01:16:18 GMT, Steve wrote:

"Mook Johnson" wrote on 05 Apr 2008 in group
alt.home.repair:

My front yard like other is sloped towards the street. The water
that flows through the gradd flows over the in certain areas as
deposits a dark slimy film on the concrete. It is a PITA to presure
wash several times a year. I'd like to make some 1" wide openings in
the curb that will allow the water to flow through directly to the
street.

Is there something I can Rent fomr HD or Lowes that would do this job
cleanly. There are other homes in my neighborhood with a similar
opening in the curb (actually 3 - 4" wide) with a PVC drain pipe
installed for this very purpose so I assume its OK of me to do as
well.

It's called a concrete saw. Getting it home and unloaded will be more work
than making the cut.

The only part that has to look good is the surface, so you can buy a
concrete blade for a circular saw. You'll ruin the saw by filling the
motor with dust, so use one you want to throw away.

Check with your city. They usually require a permit for a curb cut. My
city gives them away for free.

You can buy either an abrasive blade or a diamond edge blade for a
circular saw. Whether the circular saw will work depends on the depth
of cut you need. I used my circular saw with a diamond blade to take
off several inches of a curb at the end of a driveway. I made a jig
for the saw to ride on at the slope angle I wanted and made cuts every
couple of inches. I then used a cold chisel to break out the cut
pieces. Took about four hours of work to make the cuts and knock out
the cut sections. The concrete dust from the cutting was bad. My saw
came through okay, but I was worried about it. This is definitely dust
mask and safety glasses work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mook Johnson" wrote in message
My front yard like other is sloped towards the street. The water that
flows through the gradd flows over the in certain areas as deposits a dark
slimy film on the concrete. It is a PITA to presure wash several times a
year. I'd like to make some 1" wide openings in the curb that will allow
the water to flow through directly to the street.

Is there something I can Rent fomr HD or Lowes that would do this job
cleanly. There are other homes in my neighborhood with a similar opening
in the curb (actually 3 - 4" wide) with a PVC drain pipe installed for
this very purpose so I assume its OK of me to do as well.

thanks.

Only one other thing and this is going to sound pretty stupid. If at all
possible run an extension cord and set up a fan to blow the dust away from
you and the saw. That's it. Sounds dumb, looks worse but my lungss and my
saw are thankful.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mook Johnson wrote:

My front yard like other is sloped towards the street. The water that flows
through the gradd flows over the in certain areas as deposits a dark slimy
film on the concrete. It is a PITA to presure wash several times a year.
I'd like to make some 1" wide openings in the curb that will allow the water
to flow through directly to the street.

Is there something I can Rent fomr HD or Lowes that would do this job
cleanly. There are other homes in my neighborhood with a similar opening in
the curb (actually 3 - 4" wide) with a PVC drain pipe installed for this
very purpose so I assume its OK of me to do as well.

thanks.

The water that flows throung the grass? Assuming you made a typo. If
the water flows over
the curb, that is how it is supposed to go. I can't quite feature
pressure washing a curb several
times a year......perhaps it is a sign that your fertilizer is washing
away too quickly. Possibly a
slow-release nitrogen fertilizer, would fix your "slime" problem. If
the slime is just mold/mildew,
a watering can with bleach and water would probably help.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The water that flows throung the grass? Assuming you made a typo. If
the water flows over
the curb, that is how it is supposed to go. I can't quite feature
pressure washing a curb several
times a year......perhaps it is a sign that your fertilizer is washing
away too quickly. Possibly a
slow-release nitrogen fertilizer, would fix your "slime" problem. If the
slime is just mold/mildew,
a watering can with bleach and water would probably help.

The SLIME is the stagnent water that dribbles over the curb after the fast
runoff has ended (after a rain storm).

Unfortunately my yard is in a lower spot in the subdivision so it is the
last to dry out. Also the drain for the cul-d-sac is right in front of my
house. There is a high spot on front of the drain the prevents the lase
1/8" of water for drianing into it is it stays there a dries out. While Im'
cutting I'd like to cut a trench through the high spot so it all drains of.

Looks like I'll meed a permit or a professional.