Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Removing exterior chimney

Hi guys -

I'm looking for advice on removing an exterior chimney. Currently it is
used for a woodburning fireplace, which I want to scrap. The chimney runs
up the exterior wall, and is made of a soft brick that is crumbling away.
My plan is to eliminate it and have a gas fire instead, which I can then
relocate to the other side of the room, and this will allow me to relocate a
window or two.

First off I'm trying to figure out what will lie between the chimney and the
house. Will it be brick on all four sides, or just the externals? And will
there be a framed wall above the opening, ie with a header to support the
roof above? I know these are difficult questions to answer speculatively,
just wondering if that if anyone can suggest what is most likely.

I plan to start swinging the hammer soon, but wonder what kind of project I
will have to make good.

Any insight or other advice on this project that anyone can give will be
gratefully received.

TIA

Moo

Posted to alt.home.repair

Assuming this is a legit question - being posted on April 1st and all!

Try this(assuming also that the house is frame and not masonry to start
with): Knock on the inside wall above the fireplace and below the ceiling.
Does it sound hollow like an area of the wall away from the chimney or solid
like masonry?

If it is hollow, then there is a chance the chimney is built on the outside
of the house frame, with an opening thru the wall for the fireplace. In
this case you can probably remove the chimney and close in the opening,
insulate and reside the outside and your are done.

If it is solid as in masonry, then the house was probably framed up to the
masonry chimney. In this case you have a bigger task since it is entirely
possible that without a framed wall, the chimney could be a structural part
of the house, holding up the 1st floor ceiling rafters, the roof, or the
second floor joists. At minimum when it is gone you will have a large hole
to frame in and fill.

Bottom line, if you can't tell for sure, you should get a contractor that
can. Even then he may need to pop a few holes in the wall and ceiling to
see exactly how things were built before he'll give you any idea what it
might involve to remove it.

. ..