Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Deadbolts For Front Entry Doors

What is the difference between sgl cyl & dbl cyl? -- Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 1, 6:34*pm, Windswept@Home (Jack) wrote:
What is the difference between sgl cyl & dbl cyl? -- Thanks

Bolt - keyed lock both sides, double cil, I think.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Windswept@Home (Jack) wrote:

What is the difference between sgl cyl & dbl cyl? -- Thanks

ON the OFF chance you ain't fooling with us today, I'll give it ta ya
straight -- single cylinder uses key from outside, hand turn from
inside. Double cylinder needs key from inside also.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 23:34:43 GMT, Windswept@Home (Jack) wrote:

What is the difference between sgl cyl & dbl cyl? -- Thanks

One is a seagull cylinder and the other is a Double Stuff Oreo
cylinder.

With double, if someone breaks in through a window, they can't unlock
the door to carry things out.

Also, if you have windows in that very door, they can't break the
glass and unlock the door.

I put in double when I had an apartment, because the fire escape was
accessible to others. But I never locked that deadbolt when I was
home, because I didn't want to depend on finding the key if there was
a fire, or if I were in a hurry. Even with various roommates, it was
easy to get them to follow the same rule. (and they weren't very good
learners otherwise.)
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"mm" wrote in message
On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 23:34:43 GMT, Windswept@Home (Jack) wrote:

What is the difference between sgl cyl & dbl cyl? -- Thanks

One is a seagull cylinder and the other is a Double Stuff Oreo
cylinder.

With double, if someone breaks in through a window, they can't unlock
the door to carry things out.

Also, if you have windows in that very door, they can't break the
glass and unlock the door.

I put in double when I had an apartment, because the fire escape was
accessible to others. But I never locked that deadbolt when I was
home, because I didn't want to depend on finding the key if there was
a fire, or if I were in a hurry. Even with various roommates, it was
easy to get them to follow the same rule. (and they weren't very good
learners otherwise.)

Medco has a double cylinder deadbolt that uses a captive key inside. It has
a handle on the inside key so it looks like a lever, but can be removed by
inserting the regular key into the outside cylinder and pulling on the
handle of the captive key. This way the inside key can be removed for extra
security when you are absent for a time, but other times it acts as a single
cylinder deadbolt.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 2, 11:51*am, "EXT" wrote:
"mm" wrote in message

[...]

cylinder deadbolt.- Hide quoted text -

This sounds like a lock for those that enjoy playing the odds -

You'll settle for a single cylinder deadbolt for short excursions out
of the house, but opt for a double when gone for extended periods -
"extended" being in the eye of key-holder.

If that's not the case, then it sounds like a very inconvienient lock,
given that you have to go through some physical gyrations to remove
the inner key every time you leave.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/02/08 12:11 am mm wrote:

What is the difference between sgl cyl & dbl cyl? -- Thanks

One is a seagull cylinder and the other is a Double Stuff Oreo
cylinder.

With double, if someone breaks in through a window, they can't unlock
the door to carry things out.

Also, if you have windows in that very door, they can't break the
glass and unlock the door.

I put in double when I had an apartment, because the fire escape was
accessible to others. But I never locked that deadbolt when I was
home, because I didn't want to depend on finding the key if there was
a fire, or if I were in a hurry. Even with various roommates, it was
easy to get them to follow the same rule. (and they weren't very good
learners otherwise.)

A few years back I lamented that I had been unable to find locks like
the lock (maybe Yale) I had on my front door in Australia: one did not
need the key to lock it, but, once the button was pressed and the door
was closed, the deadbolt tripped, so that the key was needed to open it
either from the inside or from the outside.

I was told that a lock that could not be opened from the inside without
a key was a safety hazard in the event of a fire and was a violation of
the Code.

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

I had a double cylinder on my back door for 25 years. The door had small
windowpanes, easily broken and was somewhat secluded from view on the
outside. It entered onto the basement landing, making it also secluded from
the inside. It was the main door we used since our parking was at the rear
of the house.

I put decorative hooks on the wall at the top of the stairs where we always
hung our keys when we came in, with one hook with only a door key. My
theory was that even if one of us forgot to hang our keys there would always
be at least one there, and even in the worst case of fire we'd be able to
get out. The risk seemed much less than the possibility of someone breaking
one of the small panes and getting in.

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
On 04/02/08 12:11 am mm wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/02/08 12:11 am mm wrote:

[...]

Perce- Hide quoted text -

when buying deadbolt get one with extended shackle that goes thru not
only strike plate but wall stud too..........

much more secure.

but realize if somone wants to really get in they can, glass windows
etc.

if in bad area buy security system or at least put up signs protected
by so and so security............

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

On Apr 2, 9:26*pm, "Mark" wrote:
I put decorative hooks on the wall at the top of the stairs where we always
hung our keys when we came in, with one hook with only a door key. *My
theory was that even if one of us forgot to hang our keys there would always
be at least one there, and even in the worst case of fire we'd *be able to
get out. *The risk seemed much less than the possibility of someone breaking
one of the small panes and getting in.

Yeah, i've always hung the inside key on a nail in the door casing far
enough away that a burglar couldn't see it or feel for it without
smashing the door down anyway, but where I could nab it in the dark
smokey room without much trouble. It's not that hard to find such a
spot.

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

On Apr 2, 12:37*pm, "Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:
On 04/02/08 12:11 am mm wrote:

[...]

i've got old double cylinder vertical deadblots (dont' see them much
any more) which were expensive at the time, but clever; sounds
something like yours.
if you open the door from the inside and go out, if you trip a lever,
it will lock without the key, but if you don't trip the lever, it
won't, so you can't accidentally lock yourself out, only deliberately;
on the other hand, if you open it from the outside and close it, it
automatically locks again. i wish they still made locks this smart, i
removed them from my last house and reinstalled them in my new one.
which involves fixing the big hole vertical deadbolts leave in the
molding.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 09:35:33 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Apr 2, 11:51*am, "EXT" wrote:
"mm" wrote in message

[...]

Yeah, it sounds ridiculous. Just as most traffic accidents happen
with 30 miles of home, most burglaries happen when you are away for
less than a day. The one time 25 years ago that this house was
burgled, I was only away for 2 hours, Sunday around 6, in the summer
when the sun was still out.

If that's not the case, then it sounds like a very inconvienient lock,
given that you have to go through some physical gyrations to remove
the inner key every time you leave.

Exactly. My system, and that of most people, is simple and easy. We
had another deadlock that we used when people were home but wanted to
lock the door. To get out, we unlatched that, went out and I guess we
locked that one if someone was still home. (although when I was awake,
I didn't care if the door was locked.) The last one, almost always me,
locked the double dead bolt.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 4, 9:08�am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Do you have a link to such an item?

They did make a DB with two inch throw, but that was twenty years ago. Now
days, one inch throw seems to be the standard.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

On Apr 2, 8:26?pm, "Mark" wrote:

when buying deadbolt get one with extended shackle that goes thru not
only strike plate but wall stud too..........

much more secure.

but realize if somone wants to really get in they can, glass windows
etc.

if in bad area buy security system or at least put up signs protected
by so and so security............

mine came from home depot, and saved a break in,,,,,

they damaged the trim and jam but didnt get in..

home was for sale at time and vacant. police figured it was kids
looking for party house
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 21:26:08 -0400, "Mark" wrote:

I had a double cylinder on my back door for 25 years. The door had small
windowpanes, easily broken and was somewhat secluded from view on the
outside. It entered onto the basement landing, making it also secluded from
the inside. It was the main door we used since our parking was at the rear
of the house.

I put decorative hooks on the wall at the top of the stairs where we always
hung our keys when we came in, with one hook with only a door key. My
theory was that even if one of us forgot to hang our keys there would always
be at least one there, and even in the worst case of fire we'd be able to
get out. The risk seemed much less than the possibility of someone breaking
one of the small panes and getting in.

If you had bottom posted, the relevance of my reply to you AND
Percival would be easier to show.

When I had the double lock, I lived in an apartment, with only one
exit. There was a fire escape, but I didn't want to resort to that
just because I couldn't find a key, and the fire escape is meant to be
one of two exits, not the sole exit.. If the fire is in my apartment,
there can be some who can exit through the door without crawling
through the flames, and others who can exit throught the fire escape
without crawling through the flames.

If the door can't be unlocked, some people may not be able to reach
the fire escape becaues of the fire. Although there never was one in
the building, and probably not even on the block, in the 12 years I
lived there.

Sears entry doors Arkadiy Home Repair 2 June 13th 07 11:56 PM
entry doors oldbones Woodworking 1 May 18th 06 01:00 AM
Front entry door problem PDQ Home Repair 7 February 17th 06 02:16 PM
Worst experience having a new front entry door installed [email protected] Home Ownership 4 November 8th 04 07:14 PM