Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Today's HUD Wreck Finds

Rain all day here. Might as well hit up some inside issues.

Outlet shows faulty wiring with one of those plug in outlet analyzers.
Here's what I found.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=hv1fmx&s=3

The "electricians" thoughts...if they had any at all:
Oh what the hell. They all connect back in the panel box anyway.
Oh here's an empty hole. It fits. Must go here.
Why use those pesky screws. Anyhow, they're kinda dirty.

My thoughts:
Gee that backstabbed white might have unsheathed wire showing
because...it's lose and falling out maybe?
Wonder why the "electrican" didn't just backstab the ground on the
hot side. It's closer.

And further up the same line
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=33wtk6g&s=3

The "electricians" thoughts...
Hmmm, broken wire. I'll just reattach to this screw securly. Let's
see. This screw is on the same side of the outlet as where it was. Must
be just another place to attach same connection. Lucky me they
backstabbed all the other wires!

My thoughts:

The "electricians" new connection seems to be wrapped the wrong
way.
The new connection has a kinked loop.
I don't think the new connections is even around the screw.

In the end I just threw out the outlets, cut bare wire ends off to
sheathing, restripped and attached to screws of new outlet. Green lights
on analyzer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 31, 10:14 pm, Red Green wrote:
[...]

Did you use a ground screw on the metal box to bond the romex ground
to the box?

JK
Posted to alt.home.repair

Big_Jake wrote in
:

[...]

The duplex wings actually do ground the box to the ground terminal. I'm
guessing code says it has to be wired so I just do it anyway. Besides,
often the duplex screws are left loose so the outlet doesn't go too far
in the wall on misaligned plastic boxes where the wings don't catch the
drywall cutout edge.

Thought ya had me huh? :-) Thanks for mentioning though. I'm no
electrician. Just a better hack than the former "electrician".

I was kind of disappointed there was no duct tape used in by the former
electrician.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bubba wrote in
:

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 22:14:42 -0500, Red Green
wrote:

[...]

The maker of "back-stabbed" outlets and the electricians that use them
both need to be shot. Those are the reasons our area requires $50
"Arc-Fault" breakers (not GFI's) in the main panel servicing the
bedrooms of a new or remodeled home.
The bare wire is definitely on the wrong terminal and wrapped the
wrong way.
The red wire nut back in the box holding the bare ground wires should
technically be a green wire nut incase you're interested.
Bubba

Not sure I've ever seen green ones. Color coding to me was always
thought to be the combos of gauge wire that can be used and the colors
can differ between mfgrs.

Thanks for the input though Bubba.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I think the box even calls them "Greenies". Typically, they have a
hole in the end where you can feed a ground wire out the top and
attach it to a ground screw.

Here's a link from a manufacturer:

http://www.idealindustries.com/produ...ut_greenie.jsp

Also, the "wings" on the duplex outlet are actually not adequate as a
grounding means unless the outlet is "self-grounding" where it has a
"spring" which bonds one of the screws to the outlet itself. These
outlets cost around $1.50 in my area, and are labeled as self
grounding.

JK

Sidewalk Sale finds Rick Metalworking 3 July 21st 05 03:13 PM
Some nice finds at the swap meet John Emmons Woodworking 6 July 5th 05 12:26 AM
Dumpster diving, roadside finds and such Jim Behning Woodworking 7 June 15th 05 10:38 PM
The wreck-less (was: The Soft Wreck ?) Philip Lewis Woodworking 0 September 14th 04 01:38 PM