Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Waterproof Seal for Wood--with standing water

Greetings all,

I'm stumped. I recently sank a wood box about 2 1/2 feet below ground
so I can have a removable 4x4 pole on which to hang a hammock. All
was well--the concrete was setting, etc. but when I came out the
following morning there was about 1 1/2 feet of water that had seeped
in. I can suck it out using a wet/dry vac, but i want to seal it
internally to waterproof it. The problem is it will never be dry
now. I can suck out all the water and it won't refill for about 30
min-1 hr. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Matt
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 31, 3:20�pm, wrote:
Greetings all,

I'm stumped. �I recently sank a wood box about 2 1/2 feet below ground
so I can have a removable 4x4 pole on which to hang a hammock. �All
was well--the concrete was setting, etc. �but when I came out the
following morning there was about 1 1/2 feet of water that had seeped
in. �I can suck it out using a wet/dry vac, but i want to seal it
internally to waterproof it. �The problem is it will never be dry
now. �I can suck out all the water and it won't refill for about 30
min-1 hr. �Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Matt

congrats you have a shallow well............

you need to use a steel pole even if you have to abandon the current
attempt
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 31, 2:50Â*pm, " wrote:
On Mar 31, 3:20�pm, wrote:

Greetings all,

I'm stumped. �I recently sank a wood box about 2 1/2 feet below ground
so I can have a removable 4x4 pole on which to hang a hammock. �All
was well--the concrete was setting, etc. �but when I came out the
following morning there was about 1 1/2 feet of water that had seeped
in. �I can suck it out using a wet/dry vac, but i want to seal it
internally to waterproof it. �The problem is it will never be dry
now. �I can suck out all the water and it won't refill for about 30
min-1 hr. �Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Matt

congrats you have a shallow well............

you need to use a steel pole even if you have to abandon the current
attempt

Sigh. Well, at least I know if/when the apocalypse comes that I'll
have water. The issue is that it's already set in concrete and it's
built to juuust fit the 4x4. Anything I can slide in there or a latex
coating I can paint in? I looked all over creation for a pre-made
steel or aluminum tube that would fit the 4x4 before building the wood
frame but no dice...

Thanks for your help!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Mar 31, 2:50 pm, " wrote:
On Mar 31, 3:20?pm, wrote:

[...]

Use a PT1 treated 4x4, which is treated for ground contact. Since you're
presumably going to be removing it when the hammock is not being used, it
will have a chance to dry out and should last a long time.

Alternative -- a good metal shop can make a post to your dimensions that
will fit the opening -- but I think just using PT lumber will fit your
requirements

Also -- Where is the water coming from? If you're in Florida, I understand
it filling in the hole, but elsewhere you might want to see where the water
is coming from -- downspout, ruptured irrigation line, leaking main or drain
line, etc., and if the water is not from natural ground-water sources you
can fix the problem there. --

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 1, 2:10*pm, "JimR" wrote:
wrote in message

On Mar 31, 2:50 pm, " wrote:

On Mar 31, 3:20?pm, wrote:

[...]

can fix the problem there. -- *- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for all your help! The lawn is enclosed in a concrete wall
structure and I think it just sucks up water and doesn't drain
effectively. Also, we're on a downslope with certain portions
(including basement) below ground level. The ground tends to saturate
quickly. As you might imagine, there's a whole sump project in my
future...