Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New Toilet installation

I want to install a new toilet in my basement bathroom.

After I take the old one off I need to remove the old wax ring and put
on a new wax ring?
And then put something over the wax ring? Finally I then install the
new toilet.
Please advise more details if possible because I never done it before.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 29, 8:19*pm, " wrote:
I want to install a new toilet in my basement bathroom.

After I take the old one off I need to remove the old wax ring and put
on a new wax ring?
And then put something over the wax ring? *Finally I then install the
new toilet.
Please advise more details if possible because I never done it before.

In 99 out of 100 cases, replacing a toilet is as easy as you
described.

There is nothing that goes over the wax ring, although you have some
choices - there are different thicknesses of rings, there are rings
with a rubber flange and there are fairly new "no wax" sealing kits.
Some people double up the wax rings to fill wider gaps. I think you'll
be able to tell by how much wax is under the toilet if you need
anything more than a standard ring.

I'd buy a couple of different sizes just to be safe. I also always
use the ones with the flange. I've never tried the no-wax types.

A possible problem will be the johnny bolts. You can get wax rings
that come with bolts and I suggest it. The old ones are probably so
rusted you won't want to reuse them. You might even have to break
them off. Since you are replacing the toilet, you can be pretty rough,
just don't be so rough that you break the shoe (the part in the floor
that the toilet sits on).

There are slots in the shoe to slide the bolts out of, so worst case
will be to break the ceramic around the bolts so you get the toilet
off and remove the bolts. This would be extreme, but I've been there,
had to do that. Hack saws, big pliers, etc all work too.

I've also had a broken shoe and had to call a plumber to re-lead a new
one on - I'm talking cast iron, I don't know what you have.

I'm sure other will toss in a few other thoughts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 29, 5:46*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Mar 29, 8:19*pm, " wrote:

[...]

The new 'waxless' seals are the way to go. No more messing around
scraping wax, careful seating of the toilet, etc. And they are
reuseable (on the same toilet). Pull the toilet and do what you are
doing udner/around it (flooring) and stick it back in.

Used my first one 2 years ago. I'll never even look at a wax ring
again.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 29, 5:19*pm, " wrote:
I want to install a new toilet in my basement bathroom.

After I take the old one off I need to remove the old wax ring and put
on a new wax ring?
And then put something over the wax ring? *Finally I then install the
new toilet.
Please advise more details if possible because I never done it before.

Just one bit of advice in addition to what others said. Do not
overtighten the bolts on the new toilet. Very easy to break it by
torqueing on the bolts.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

I will add a couple of small bits of advice. Since you are going to be
removing the toilet, now is a good time to paint the wall behind the tank
that never gets painted.

Also now is a good time to replace the old angle stop valve with one of
those new quarter turn ball valves and install a good braided stainless
steel supply line.

I personally do not like the ball float fill valves, so I always replace
them with a FluidMaster.

--
Roger Shoaf

wrote in message
I want to install a new toilet in my basement bathroom.

After I take the old one off I need to remove the old wax ring and put
on a new wax ring?
And then put something over the wax ring? Finally I then install the
new toilet.
Please advise more details if possible because I never done it before.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/30/2008 8:55 PM Roger Shoaf spake thus:

I will add a couple of small bits of advice. Since you are going to be
removing the toilet, now is a good time to paint the wall behind the tank
that never gets painted.

Why bother? Nobody'll ever see it (at least until the *next* time the
toilet gets uprooted).

Your other points were good.

conversation with the average voter.

- Attributed to Winston Churchill