Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Stained concrete question

Hello all,

I have a stained concrete floor that overall is very attractive.
However, I am concerned about the effects of a recent "repair" and am
trying to figure out what is going on:

Xylene was used to remove wax from the floor, but I think too much was
applied in a few spots. Those spots appear to have no sealant, and
the parameter of these spots is now very rough. I am guessing that
the sealant was completely removed at these spots, and that the
roughness is caused by damage to the sealant that remained nearby.

Does this sound plausible? If not, does anyone know any good
alternative explanation?

In any case, can anyone recommend a good course of action to take
regarding smoothing the roughness and/or correcting the seal? Any
replies would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you very much!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Hello all,

I have a stained concrete floor that overall is very attractive.
However, I am concerned about the effects of a recent "repair" and am
trying to figure out what is going on:

Xylene was used to remove wax from the floor, but I think too much was
applied in a few spots. Those spots appear to have no sealant, and
the parameter of these spots is now very rough. I am guessing that
the sealant was completely removed at these spots, and that the
roughness is caused by damage to the sealant that remained nearby.

i probably would have used a clean towel and a hot iron.

your sealant was some kind of plastic. xylene dissolves some of these quite
well.

Does this sound plausible? If not, does anyone know any good
alternative explanation?

In any case, can anyone recommend a good course of action to take
regarding smoothing the roughness and/or correcting the seal? Any
replies would be greatly appreciated!

contact who sealed it and see if you can source the original material would
be the best guess. otherwise, you'd have to find something that matched
which would be hard. you could always strip the entire floor and seal it
again.

Thank you very much!